Thin Man Fat Man photos

alternatewars.com/Bomb_Loadi … _Guide.htm

Very interesting, thanks, these photos from Tinian complement nicely my recent USS Indianapolis research.

Stonewall, thanks a lot! Great images!

Interesting, so the “good will” messages were all just written on the protective shell, which was removed before it went into the plane.
The fins are black, so they must have been covered individually by protective elements, too.

Great pictures - fascinating stuff.

The photos show both types of Atomic bombs: the Little Boy and the Fat man types.
The dark bomb in the last few photos is the “Little Boy” which was dropped on Hiroshima.
It appears that the graffitti is on the “Fat Man” bomb which was used on Nagasaki.
The photos do not show the antennae of the tail warning radar which was used to detonate the bombs at a specific altitude. They used that off-the-shelf radar so they would guarantee an air burst.
Wonderful photos - classified secret for so many years!

OKAY ALL, HAVE I BEEN MISINFORMED ALL THESE YEARS? I WAS ALWAYS TAUGHT THE THE NAMES GIVEN THE BOMBS WERE, “FAT MAN” AND “LITTLE BOY.” WHERE DID “THIN MAN” COME FROM?

GWB,

Look at first photo in the photo series, see the long “thin” tubular bomb casings in the foreground!? :-)

Brian

I think the tubes shown in the nice group of photos were perhaps intended to be “Thin Man” bombs using the gun method to produce fission with plutonium. “Fat Man” used plutonium but with an implosion type device as tested in western USA and later, the second bomb dropped on Japan. “Little Boy” was a gun tube design using uranium and was the bomb type first dropped on Japan. The “Thin Man” device was never actually built or tested to my knowledge and “Little Boy” was only used that once in combat (having never actually been tested!).

Dave

I have corrected my post.

Thanks so much for posting this link to these amazing photos.

Jason