Thompson/Center Lucite Cartridge Block

I know, and old topic, but I was searching for something related and this came up. I then noticed I had started this thread, but, due to it being in the Archives, my user name is just listed as “Historian”. Anyway, the original photo link was broken, so here is the updated photo. Can’t really have an archive if the photos aren’t there.

This one has a factory error…notice the second round under the pistol. It SHOULD be marked 7mm T.C.U. The decimal point is in front of the 7.

1 Like

A further update, I recently got a newer version of this display, Edition #7.

An interesting round is the .357 Magnum, the only cartridge in the display that has a nickel-plated case. They couldn’t find a brass one?

1 Like

Why would they want to find a brass .357 round for the display? The norm for all the other calibers are plain brass cases, but the norm for .357 ammunition are nickel-brass cases. That is not, of course, to say the .357 rounds were never in plain brass cases, for they surely were, especially in WWII years when nickel was a critical material. More of these caliber were loaded in nickeled-brass than in plain brass, however.

John M.

It just seemed odd to me that they didn’t find one when they were going to the trouble to make the display. I’ve seen other #7 wheels that also have the nickel .357.

I only have a casual collection of these advertising displays, cartridge boards, bullet boards, etc., picked up only because of availability at the time and when I had a few extra bucks in my “hobby money.” I do not seek them out. The only regular Thompson Center “wheel” that I have is Edition No. 5, but it, too, has a nickel .357 Magnum round on it. While these displays are certainly made to be attractive, so as to catch the eye, they also are educational and, once again, to show the .357 with a plain brass case would not be showing the norm for the cartridge. The educational value should and does outweight the cosmetic value of the item.

The only “wheel” I have seen (that I recall) that shows the .357 magnum with a plain brass case is actually a TC counter barrel display, where the upright portion has a printed version of the cartridge wheel, rather than actual cartridges. To add a color to that printing for one cartridge would not have been practical, especially on a display meant to hold various TC Contender barrels, resting in front of the printed wheel, and therefore when full, partially obscuring it.

I believe that using the nickel-case .357 on the regular wheels was not only practical, but also technically the correct approach. JMHO

John Moss

I doubt any collecting you do can be described as “casual” ;)

2 Likes

Thanks for explaining that. I never thought of it that way. Always learning things here.

Strelok - some would say I am not a collector at all, just an accumulator. Since circumstances made me give up cataloging new acquisitions about ten years ago, I would have to agree with that. :-)

John

1 Like