Time to start sorting -

Some of us have daytime paying jobs they actually love. I am not that lucky.

2 Likes

I know, Vlad, I know… (four years to go before retirement)

Very often good citizens who pass away. As family comes to clean up the home, it happens they find all kind of weapons and ammunition. They bring it in to get rid of it. In 2018, I had about 200 kg small caliber ammunition. My “find of the day” is almost always brought in stuff. Garand, K98, greasegun, stengun, MP40, P38… and of course piles of smoothbores… I’ve seen it all.

2 Likes

OK, now I’m scratching my head -
Looks like a stuffer or even a garage-made novelty, but it is packed with black powder. The projectile(?) is steel, and irregularly shaped. Case length 102mm-ish, projectile 27.8mm-ish, rim was a straightforward 35.2mm. Shown with a comparison piece in last pic.

IMG_0525

Jason, send me a PM if this is what you are looking for -

1 Like

Thank you SOOOO MUCH! Really appreciate this! Unfortunately, these are the correct cases, but wrong primers (ELEC M120) that I am in need of. Been hunting them down for years after seeing hundreds of these M148A1B1 cases come up for sale over the years. So far, I have only ever found one case with the correct primer. All of the US 105mm adopted APFSDS rounds except the, M900, utilize the ELEC M120 primer (the M735, M744 and M833). Seems like it would be a common find, but, its not LOL

In any case, I am so grateful for you taking the time to help me with this. Thank you big time!

Jason

1 Like

Ah, yes… back when I worked on REAL Old Fashioned Gun Stores. Unfortunately they are now few and far between, and what shops are fairly close by are owned by younger dupes [read:uninformed/lack of knowledge] who are mostly in the ‘Black Rifle’ state of mind, and will not hire me because I am old, disabled, and I know more than they do- not bragging, just stating fact.

What I would not give to have a REAL gun store around, (and no, I do not have the funding to start my own)!

1 Like

As things slowly ease back to semi-normal, folks are cleaning out their storage areas and items are once again trickling in. Had some interesting items dropped off yesterday, a little bit of training ammo, some old bomb squad dearmer carts, empty booster charges for mining explosives, a little bit of tear gas, etc.

IMG_0833 IMG_0834

USSubs
Can you show a photo of the box of blue and red riot grenades please

They also come in yellow. Because the yellow is smoke, they got thrown for training and fun, and are seen much less often.

Great photo and thanks. I just got three S&W Mighty M with inert stickers in yellow, blue & red.
I do not have much info on them.

Jeff,

What are the joined DuPont cans?

Thanks,

Brian

Booster charges for ANFO shots, generally used for open pit mining. The are threaded on each end so you can stack and use as many as you need. Colorful and historic, lots of manufacturers. These are now done as a cast booster (pentolite, etc) encased in cardboard.

2 Likes

There was a fantastic book done on tear gas munitions (Swearengen), but it was printed in 1966 and nothing worthwhile has been done since.
These companies would sell out in a heartbeat, so keeping track of them is very difficult. If you download this picture you can see two identical kits, one is labelled as S&W, the other as Lake Erie. In many cases you only see an over-label stuck on, still the same packaging.

3 Likes

Jeff,

Thanks!

Brian

The primers/boosters and such go into a different part of the collection - commercial stuff including blasting machines, cap cans, crates, inerted blasting caps and explosives charges etc. Normally I don’t save boxes and crates, but I have a weakness…

IMG_0849

3 Likes

You have a very nice collection, thanks for showing us the pictures.

They all have “S” on them, what is the meaning of that letter?
Thanks!

I was never a commercial blaster, but if I recall correctly the “S” began with DuPont’s Nitramon explosive. The “S” was a specialized version of Nitramon, which was intended to do better in wet/underwater conditions, particularly for seismic shots. My guess is that the S carried over to other producers as well, but while I can document it for DuPont I cannot for the others. Note that the Atlas primers above do not have the S (black and orange).

Jeff, great collection of cans and boxes, thanks for sharing.

Nitramon-S was introduced in 1939 for seismic prospecting. (the “S” stand for “Seismic”). Later they also introduced a “WW” for “Water Work”.

Below you can see a stacking arrangement using “Nitramon” primer.

Regards,

Fede

N

2 Likes