To all users and especially administrators of this web site

New York Senate has a bill (a proposed law) introduced which, if approved, will alter all the internet and this forum in particular. It seeks to ban usage of made-up (i.e. any other than legal) names for any posts and introduce mandatory address attachement.

Verbatim from the bill:

“A web site administrator upon request shall remove any comments posted on his or her web site by an anonymous poster unless such anonymous poster agrees to attach his or her name to the post and confirms that his or her IP address, legal name, and home address are accurate. All web site administrators shall have a contact number or e-mail address posted for such removal requests, clearly visible in any sections where comments are posted.”

Here is the whole story news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology- … 49128.html

Even though it is still far away from being a law, remember that bubonic plague started from a single bacterium.

As the story says, it’s a bill that is unlikely to get anywhere, as it would create a firestorm of opposition. Were something like this to be enacted,I would simply just make up a bunch of phony information and assume no one would (or could)check it out.

At the bottom is mention of a bill just as bad now introduced in the Hawaii legislature.

One problem with this (aside from the other obvious privacy issues) is that the internet crosses all state and national borders, therefore there would be no way to avoid requiring any site in New York (or maybe elsewhere) to collect that information from all users no matter where located.

Note that, at least in the US, there have been movements by the rabid anti-gun crowd to encourage legislation mandating public access to all state records concerning identification of all concealed handgun permit holders held by the state. To my knowledge, none of these has got much traction.