To the British members - how did it go today?

To all the British members, I was thinking about you all today. How did the meeting at Bisley go ?
A little show report would be appreciated for those of us who could not go.

It rained, the roadworks were unrelenting, and numbers were slightly down (by my estimation) but I for one had a splendid time.

Ten new drill rounds and one new charger clip left me feeling very happy with the day. Best of all, there were lots of familiar faces, the coffee was hot, the cakes good and Mr Golland did us proud once again.

My highlight was this 0,303" MkIII drill round headstamped E.15 VII. Could the extra set of flash-holes account for its use as a drill cartridge?

I also found a MkIV 0,303" drill round with an undamaged boxwood bullet and a MkV with most of its original black finish.

Does anyone have any idea about for this 7,62x51 headstamped FN (nato) 57 which has a rubber insert in the primer pocket? It’s spent time linked which has scarred the case but it’s a colourful critter for a drill cartridge.

To add to the day I got my BSA International to Fulton’s to have a bit of work done to it. Was it worth going? Of course it was, with many thanks to the others there who made it such a worthwhile meeting.

Peter

I’d agree with Peter in that it was worth going, despite having to start out at 4.30 a.m. this morning, and the meeting itself was as enjoyable as always. The disappointment for me was that I could barely find a dozen or so cartridges that were interesting enough to buy. The usual dealers were all there but there seemed to be little new stock on offer. I shall certainly keep going back to Bisley but the Dutch and German shows are looking increasingly tempting.

Yes, there were a few people missing for various reasons, but it was well worth while. I bought hardly any ammo but spent far more time there than I’d expected, just talking to people about all manner of ammo and gun-related topics.

I did pick up the latest, fourth part of Tony Edwards’ excellent series on British Secondary Small Arms 1914-1919 (which naturally includes the ammo too). This one is about Royal Navy equipment, and includes all sorts of oddities like Winchester lever-action carbines (Model 1892 in .44-40 and Model 94 in .30-30), Chilean and Brazilian Mausers in 7x57, ancient single-shot rifles and sundry US pistols.

I can agree with all the previous posts. There were several regulars who were missing for various reasons, but it was an excellent day out.

I only picked up four rounds, but I sold a few books (thanks for the kind words, Tony) and of course the social aspects are just as important. Meeting up with old friends and simply talking about the ammo is a very enoyable way to pass a Saturday morning.

Regards
TonyE

Definitely a good day out, on every level.

But … forty years of playing guitars has left me with finger tips that lack the feel to read headstamps by touch alone. The subtle intaglio on many cartridges is not conducive to reading like braille. The lighting in the room was so dim it made some form of portable lighting almost essential. Three cheers for my Maglight.

Happy collecting, Peter

Reading headstamps by touch???

I have enough trouble reading them by eye even with a glass!

Regards
tonyE

I found a few nice bits there. I took a look in Fulton’s as well, I found a bag of 20 fired .222 Rem cases for £2. Doesn’t sound like anything remarkable I know. However, when they all have the headstamp and particular style you have been looking for for a few years to replace a damaged example it is good to know you now have 20 of them.