Tokarev Ammunition

I just ran across a few of these with the head stamp of:

G.F.L.

7.63 Mauser

Is this the 7.62X25 Tokarev round? Thanks.

This is 7.63 Mauser (as it is written on it), but it is interchangeable with 7.62X25 TT, that is, they can shoot their TT pistol.

Thanks. I thought that may be the case but was bot sure. Any idea as to the G.F.L. manufacturer? It has green laquer around the primer.

Fiocchi Italy

I actually came across these in a box I have - I thought they were WW2 9mm, sealed the box and forgot about them, then looked at them the other day. Tokarev, WW2 evidently?

Thank you.

Yes, this is Tokarev, made by the Tula plant, 1944, on those that I see.

1 Like

thank you

I do not agree with AZOV2014. As far as I know, code 38 is Russian State Factory at Yuryusan (Tscheljabinks Region), Russia. And year of manufacture was 1944.

I have to agree, the 38 44 rounds are Yurisan. The box is actually a German fuse box, if I recall. I have a similar example.

Jon, “Yuryuzan”.

The box is for German grenade fuzes of the Stielhandgranate 24.
https://www.bergflak.com/m24constr.html

Regarding the original question about Giulio Fiocchi Lecco (G.F.L.), Italy, 7.62 x 25 mm Tokarev ammunition, they do make a dedicated 7.62 Tokarev round, properly headstamped for that caliber, as well as the 7.63 x 25 Mauser cartridge.

While I agree that at least the 7.63 mm Mauser ammunition can be used in pistols designated as caliber 7.62 x 25 Tokarev, I am not sure the reverse would be wise. When I say I am not sure, I mean just that, I simply don’t know. The two Fiocchi loadings are not actually identical:

7.63 x 25 mm Mauser:

Bullet weight - 5.7 Grams (88 Grains)
Velocity V25 [m/s] - 435

7.62 x 25 mm Tokarev:

Bullet weight - 5.51 grams (85 grains)
Velocity V25 [m/s] - 465

The above information is from Fiocchi’s 2018 Ammunition Catalogue. They do not list pressures. It may be that the 7.62 x 25 mm Tokarev rounds from G.F.L. are not of high enough pressure to be a worry in the older Broomhandle Mauser-type pistols. Once again, I simply don’t know, and therefore would say “proceed with caution.”

Certainly the Mauser loading is safe in Tokarevs and, for example, the Czech vz. 52 pistol. Both my Czech pistol and Chinese Type 54 (Tokarev) work o.k. with the Fiocchi 7.63 Mauser rounds.

John Moss

The main difference is that 7.62 Tokarev uses the “Russian” bullet diameter for their 7.62 mm, which is 7.9 mm with a corresponding larger groove diameter (dimensions taken over from their 7.62 mm rifle bores).
7.63 Mauser uses the standard 7.62 mm bullet diameter of a little over 7.8 mm.
Pressure according to CIP is 2500 bar (Tokarev) versus 2250 bar (Mauser). 10 percent is a very small difference for handgun cartridges. In any case, firing 7.63 Mauser from a 7.62 Tokarev weapon is on the safe side.
Note: Warsaw Pact Tokarev ammo is corrosive and has mercury in the primer mix.

Sorry, he was inattentive, plant number 38 in 1944 was already in the city of Yuryuzan, and the Tula plant after re-evacuation received number 539

Thanks for the above; I updated the Tokarev Heastamp List.

Thabks to all who replied to my question.