Tokarev pack?

This Eastern bloc looking pack has “28” and “1940” on paper and contains Tokarev looking un-headstamped rounds measuring 7.9x24.5mm (approx). What is it?

To me they look like regular Tokarev packs.

My mistake, my calipres is off, don’t know how it happened. I measured other rounds and they are all off. Sorry again.

The Soviets did not headstamp 7.62 Tokarev ammo until 1942.

Great stuff, Vlad! Keep it coming!

Would this item be an example of a pre-1942 Soviet Tokarev cartridge?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave,

Yes. The Soviets didn’t headstamp ammunition if only one factory was making it. That practice seems to have ended after WWII. The first 30 years or so of the Makarov caliber, only one plant at a time was making it, but they are all headstamped.

John, after 1945 there was still some hunting ammunition which had no head stamps like the 8.2x66SR.

Military ammunition made after 1945 usually had head stamps but no rule without exception. The 9x39 as it was delivered to the Soviet MIA had no hs till the late 1990’s.
Worth to note that during the development the 9x39 had head stamps but when serial production started it disappeared.

Also (almost) all the Soviet special silenced and poison cartridges have no head stamps. The successor of the SP-4 the 7N36 has a head stamp now.

Strange that ammunition that by definition is ‘clandestine’ should suddenly appear with headstamps. No one heard the shots, the assassin disappeared but lo … they left identifiable cartridges lying around.

Surely any information needed by the users would be on the ammunition packaging, something that can be left at home when ‘going out for a job’?

Happy collecting, Peter

[quote=“enfield56”]Strange that ammunition that by definition is ‘clandestine’ should suddenly appear with headstamps. No one heard the shots, the assassin disappeared but lo … they left identifiable cartridges lying around.

Surely any information needed by the users would be on the ammunition packaging, something that can be left at home when ‘going out for a job’?

Happy collecting, Peter[/quote]

Peter. the headstamps on this ammo mainly was made for Army.

[quote=“enfield56”]Strange that ammunition that by definition is ‘clandestine’ should suddenly appear with headstamps. No one heard the shots, the assassin disappeared but lo … they left identifiable cartridges lying around.
[/quote]

Well, even without a hs everybody would know who was there.