Tony Edwards

Many of you will remember with affection, and indeed admiration, the late Tony Edwards. I would count him as both a friend and mentor.
This week watching one of the programmes on a history channel called Unearthing WW1 series 1 episode 2 about digging in tunnels on the Somme. Tony is seen twice in the programme as weapons expert for the Durrand Group. First identifying a Belgian round found in a tunnel and then later a .303 charger, a German pistol and a grenade.
The series made for Canadian TV must surely be seen around the world and it does give us a chance to remember Tony who I believe to be the second greatest expert on British ammunition after Labbett. Neither of whom will ever be replaced.

I liked the PBS NOVA special on the development of the Buckingham cartridge!

Was hoping to find it on YouTube but could only find it on UK pay-per-view TV. Hopefully it will find its way into the public (free) arena sometime soon…

Sadly missed. Great guy and hugely knowledgable.tony

Vince,
I’d broaden your list of Greatest experts on British ammunition. I think there were four and they were two teams that were great because of what the members brought to each other.

One team was Tony Edwards and Herb Woodend who ran the Enfield Pattern Room and its successors for many years. The two of them were best friends and a true pleasure to watch operate together. My view was that Herb was the researcher and finder, and probably the source of most of the documents Tony used. Tony was the writer, organizer and cataloger and the two made an impressive pair.

The other team was Peter Labbett and Freddy Mead. Freddy was a Major in the British Army for much of the time I knew him, serving in the Crime Lab in Northern Ireland and on the Ordnance Board. Many, perhaps most of Peters books were coauthored with Freddy. Another two who complemented each other perfectly.

All four were very different people from different backgrounds. I would have a hard time picking out the best or the best two. Peter and Tony are best known for their writing and Tony’s website. All have now passed away. Their contributions to our hobby are impressive, and reach well beyond just British Ordnance. That is why we established the IAA award for the best IAA Journal article on British ammunition was established in honor of Peter, Herb and Freddy, and should be now expanded to include Tony (who won the award on at least two occasions-$100 and a certificate and bragging rights).

I believe the donations that originally established the award has now been expended but we should discuss reestablishing it in recognition of all four of them.

Cheers,
Lew