Tony Shuffrey of Kodak died last week

As most of the members of the forum will be trying to get last years ribs stains out of their best shirt in anticipation of another visit to SLICS I though this would be a good time to post this.

Tony Suffrey who worked at Kodak in the research at Harrow (UK) died last week. He pioneered the technique of taking high speed photos such as the ones here. This was back in the days of real photos before digital imaging made it so much easier. The technique used a high intensity electrical spark as a flash to freeze the action. Much copied later, but he was the first.
A keen shooter he quickly saw the opportunity to mix a bit of business and pleasure

youtube.com/watch?feature=en … FYsuM&NR=1

I forgot to say, I think the one with an apple balanced on a cartridge case was one of his

RIP, Tony!

His work probably led to so many ammunition developments that rely on this type of photography.

J

Spark photography was probably the first of those methods, originally developed in Germany in the 1920s. But it was more of a shadowgraph than a photograph. In the late 1930s and 40s, Dr. Harold Edgerton of MIT developed the modern short-duration strobe light (electronic flash) that could capture still pictures of bullets in flight. I took one of Dr. Edgerton’s courses at MIT in about 1968 which was a blast - a lot of it involved taking still pictures of bullets hitting things, and also using high-speed movie cameras. Edgerton was also instrumental in developing underwater electronic flash lighting equipment and worked a lot with Jacques Costeau.

All current high-speed photography is done with digital video cameras. Some of them are even priced well within the means of most of us to purchase. The last one I purchased was in 2007, and was a professional model, for about $25K. But I didn’t buy it with my own money. I imagine they can be had for much less at present. Many of the gun shows on TV (like the History Channel’s “Top Shot”) use these. So they are pretty much mainstream.

RIP Tony & thanks for your great work

Vince the apple on the cartridge case photo was as Dennisk notes by Dr. Edgerton, the inventor of electronic flash.