Too good not to share (collided bullets)

Another day metal detecting I pulled this out, I believe they’re .455 webley, but could be wrong, a bucket list metal detecting find! As well as a tonne of other rounds, military training (60s-90s) and a few other nice older rounds

1 Like

Is it possible for lead to fuse in the midair collision?

I’m hoping so, considering lead has such a low melting point, and they’re very dense items travelling fast, they could produce enough energy in the form of heat to do so.

Considering how much I love them and have wanted to fin something like this for years I’m hoping that it’s real!

1 Like

I do hope I’m not putting a downer on this but I do see this very often on the ranges where a bullet simply inpacts in the same place, or there abouts, of another ‘earlier’ bullet strike.

Tony

3 Likes

I did figure this was a strong possibility, and am more than open to any opinions or discussion.

however I had my hopes up after these two were drawn away from the sort of backstop where I was finding clusters, as well as it appears the leads fused decently and would take a struggle to get apart, and the last factor was there’s basically no dirt or debris between them, it looks almost seamless one the cleaner side.

Although I may be optimistic because I’ve always wanted to find something like this!:rofl:

1 Like

Engineer Bernd Krause of RWS Stadeln (now RUAG) managed to make a high speed video showing the head on collision of two .22 long rife bullets. They simply deform and bounce off each other while shedding a few fragments.

I agree with TonyL that a lot of bullets on ranges are deformed as shown by simply impacting some structure or other hard objects.

2 Likes

At the Museum in Gettysburg Battlefield there is an 1861 Springfield rifle with bullets that collided inside the barrel of the rifle and caused the barrel to rupture. the projectiles are solidly fused in the barrel.

1 Like

I remember seeing in a National Geographic magazine many years ago, a photo of two Civil War projectiles that collided. It was recovered from a major battle field.

Do you thank that it’s possible for the results to be changed by the type of projectile? .455 are a lot more solid and dense, with a good amount of weight behind them.

Where as the .22 is obviously smaller, travelling faster, and quite fragile compared to a bigger solid lead round

Simple inertia physics will show that this didn’t happen in flight, yes a .455" is heavier than a .220" but therefore the inertia will also be greater, for what happened to your bullets the impacted bullet must have been immovable…rear end a moving car and you will force it forward, do the same to a immovable car and they will ‘mangle’ together…now, ‘head on’ is a different story but as you can see from your photo this wasn’t the case…sorry

Tony

1 Like

Very well explained! Appreciate the reply, still a very cool item that I’ll be displaying with my collection

Regards, hamish

yes it is, I have picked up several interesting impacted projectiles over the years and find them fascinating, four of my favorites being a 50 cal steel core from a glancing strike on a tank and looks like it has been cut in half, another 50 cal steel core that looks like it has melted, again fired at a tank, a .388" LM that hit a chalk bank, shed jacket, steel core and lead retaining disc and an old Mk 7 .303" which looks like a flattened section

Tony

1 Like

I’m trying to track down .50 projectiles very hard to get down here in Australia, let alone ones that have collided!