Tool Rounds with Photos

I took delievery of VERY NICE collection of tool rounds at SLICS.

Like anyone, part of the wind behind the road home sails is the excitement to paw the trinkets and treasures acquired ASAP.

Looking over the tool rounds was enlightening to say the least. One of the most basic revelations was the small caliber rimfires. I always assumed they were all .22 only to discover there are .22, .25, .27 (which on a quick pass…all look “.22”) and there were over a dozen headstamps variations (most were a circle H or Hilti…the common tool round in this area).

To all my pals…fret not, I am in no danger of becoming a rimfire collector; but I do feel pretty ignorant of a very basic cartridge.

Stay tuned for some photos of plastic well test blanks, well casing perforation rounds, engine starter rounds (not in my “dozen or so”) and a few others that it would be good to gather opions if you might agree to how the prior owner ID’d them.

There appeared a couple .32 RF that were marked “alarm rounds”. I know there have been rounds that activated fire sprinklers. Any guess what “alarm” might imply? (there are other rounds marked saluting, starter pistol, engine starter so the general labels are good)

I still can’t bellieve the first thing to intrigue me were tiny blanks

If it’s special purpose…it interests me.

Possible .22” Long Industrial Blank?

Pepper,

Welcome to the wonderful world of “Rimfires”

There are a lot of great rimfire special purpose cartridges, tool blanks, tear gas, perfume cartridges, circuit breakers cartridges, Teleshots to scare birds, flares, pyrotechnics, flash blanks, igniters and more.
They also come in many different calibers, .20, .22 (short, long, extra long, extra short), .25, .27, 31, .32, 6mm, 7mm etc.

I can’t wait to see you rimfire special purpose display next year at SLICS ;-)

Paul

Pepper,

Regarding your item identified as an “alarm round”, I have seen information (somewhere) that described antique blank firing devices that were intended to alert one of an intruder and to hopefully scare them off as well. As I recall, they were mounted in some fashion to a door jamb or window frame in a manner that unauthorized opening would fire the blank cartridge. Suggested use included by those who frequented hotels, etc. as in traveling salesmen. It could well be something else entirely and I can’t say where I have seen this type of device though I have an image of an old catalog listing in my mind (maybe a Bannerman’s catalog?).

Look forward to seeing posts of some of the interesting items from your new “special purpose specialty”!

Dave

I do have a couple tear gas locks (look like “dead bolt locks”) that when tampered with, fire a .22 blank that in turn ingnites a tear gas smoke canister.

I would like to see/have a circuit breaker RF round.

Might snap a photo or two tonight

Looking forward to photos, especially of that tear gas lock thing.

Jason

These are not all from SLICS (nor are all culled from the “tool round” collection I purchased), but many rounds do fit and clarify examples in my existing collection.

Some “classics”, but a few unknowns to me (Fede…”chime it !!)

Some of my favorites (kinda like the boxes w/ the “purpose” names)

‘always assumed military “quick nail up” stud rounds…really “cool” as they are an in in one stud with it’s charg

(for the likes of roads signs on a tree or phone pole ??)

These two shotshell rounds were marked “well test” (not sure if one, or both are “well test” blanks)
(the green hulled has an odd looking fiber wad…wonder if that is the “well test” or are both for that purpose?)

The red paper cased is H/S’d…W-W 10 GUAGE…(the green had no h/s)

Now the small plastics (marked “well test” are “confirmed” as I matched them with a box I had in the collection (not the yellow example which has a different color brownish was end wad)

I am told these are well casing perforation rounds

I used to only have the three “tip/tool” variations…but the collection had the two unusual charge casing/powder/odd screw in base plugs set ups.

Anyone have a clue how it they work ?

God Bless u guys who upload series of photos w/ descriptions…it’s a time concumimg PIA to get right (at least for me!)

Pepper, thank you very much for sharing this pictures, you have a wonderful collection.

These well perforator rounds were made in the 1960’s by/for Dresser Industries, Inc. of Dallas, Texas and were loaded in a well perforating gun with multiple transversal chambers placed pointing in four different equidistant directions. When the projectiles were fired these perforated the earth well casing in order to permit flow of fluid into the well. The threaded pin of the primer was secured to the perforator’s gun chamber by means of a nut and ignited electrically through a conductor cable (the original design dates back to the 1930’s).

This company is also known to have been involved with Dardick’s Tround International, Inc. (.25 Triplex trounds) and exists today as Dresser-Rand.

Regards,

Fede

There’s a lot more special purpose “stuff” to show; but I am ignorant of a decent description to accompany photos I could provide

Next I should photo the cable cutters and launching rounds in my collection

'tempted to ask Chris Punnett for a Journal photo opportunity…maybe the “Pepper’s special corner” and do a semi monthly odd ball special purpose round photo?

PS…your breadth of ammo diversity knowledge/info is impressive

Pepper, please, keep posting this “stuff”, the world of special purpose cartridges is a fascinating field.

The yellow plastic cartridge was made by Alcan Company, Inc. in the 1960’s and packed in generic .45 Colt plastic cartridge 50 rd boxes with an extra line added reading “Well Sounding Devices Black Powder”.

What does a circuit breaker round look like ? (assimed rimfire?)(and how did it function?)

Is it a “normal” looking blank or can it be definitively ID’d ?

It looks like a normal blank. John Barber pictured it on page 108 in “The Rimfire Cartridge”. I have one I got from John a number of years ago. He said he got them from a box labeled as such. I’ll try to find it. As for how it worked I have no clue.

Sorry

Paul