ab

ALWAYS ADD THE HEADSTAMPS-WE COLLECT THIS STUFF !

SOME TASTY LOOKING ITEMS.

ab

WOW! I am not into ( or should I say, USED to not be into) the smaller caliber stuff, but this collection and display is really spectacular. their are ALLOT of super interesting rounds shown! I have a question, what is the bullet with the super long projectile located 2nd from the right, bottom row, in the 2nd photo? Is that a Russian, “Underwater” bullet? Anyhow, super interesting photos, bullets and display.

Jason

ab

Going by what it’s grouped with, I’d say it’s one of the WW1 German “wire-cutter” rounds; these were apparently made specifically to cut through barbed wire entanglements as troops advanced, because the long rods wouldn’t stabilize and would flip end over end. My best guess at least. I’m curious about the belted round next to the 8mm PzB 318 in the first picture; I don’t recall seeing one of those before.

Totally understand! Thank you so much! I have never heard of a “Wire Cutting Round”. Learn something every day :-) Some of the items are beautiful. The Indian bullets with unique cases are super cool. Really a beautiful, and COLORFUL, collection. It is displayed very nice also. Thanks for those pictures.

ab

Thanks, Laurent :-) A very nice selection.

Laurent,

Exquisite!

Heavyiron

language? Spain, France

Tiengulden, it is French

Was that (appears) solid steel bullet very hard wearing on the rifle bore? Also, how was that thing loaded, obviously single shot as it is far too long to fit in the Mauser magazine. Still, it looks too long to be able to insert it as a single round.

You had to remove the bolt to load that round.

I did think that might be a possible explanation, how was it used, as I guess you would need to fire a few to cut through a large amount of barbed wire. Did all of the troops of an attacking unit eack load one and fire it an a pre determined area of the enemy barbed wire defences?

Although the length of this round meant that it had to be single-loaded (and presumably fired “en masse” by a group of soldiers), Daniel Kent says in “German 7.9mm Military Ammunition” that they were able to load them through the ejection port (at least with the round he tried it with).

Regarding the German WWI 7.9 x 57mm Wire Cutter cartridge, the explanation I got was that the under-diameter steel rod would tumble when it left the barrel. They were meant to be fired in mass (many soldiers firing them at the same time) at a barbed wire entanglement to clear a path for the soldiers to move thru. This is what I was told by German collectors, and it sounds like the only logical way these rounds would have had any chance of working. I have three specimens in my collection. They all look dug up.

Depsite the undersized projectile, I suspect these had to be tough on a rifle barrel. I also suspect that they were pretty much a failure. I have that suspicion from the number of specimens I have seen, virtually all dug out of the ground judging from their condition, although a few nice ones exist. I suspect that the reason they are found that way is because the German soldiers threw them away!

I would think that one hand grenade into a wire entanglement would be more effective than a dozen of these. Again, just a guess from seeing what a hand grenade can do (although not like in the movies when they throw a hand grenade into a house and it blows the roof off!).

Ditto on the grenade; I know the British used Bangalore torpedoes to clear wire, but I don’t know if there was anything similar on the German side.