Trabant, anyone?

This display is from US Air Force museum in Dayton, OH. Maybe they thought it could fly? Comments cheerfully accepted.

• @ sksvlad: I do remember very well from Romania the “Trabant” car. It was a tiny and noisy two-door car which had been manufactured in the former DDR [East Germany]. We also had other small cars [like the Ialian made “Fiat 600” and “Fiat 850”] but the “Trabant” was a very cheap way of transport for somebody who wanted to own a car. At the gas station the owner had to mix oil and gas for the “Trabant” car which was belching a lot of smoke and was making a noise like a rattling burp-gun. I had a car and a valid driver license back in Romania but I never drove a “Trabant”. => The last time I saw a “Trabant” car was on some Dutch highway around Rotterdam in early 1990s, the car had German plates. Liviu 05/03/09

Liviu, I do remember “Dakia”, I was in Romania in 1973. Actually, my mistake, “Dacia”.

• @ sksvlad: What you do remember was actually the Romanian made car named “DACIA” [not “Dakia”] and there were two models: “Dacia 1100” and “Dacia 1300”. Both models were good cars for the Romanian standard of 1970s, I drove both of them. Liviu 05/04/09

A few years back somebody was importing them into Britain and selling them to collectors. Become a classic car collector for less than $200.

To pull this back onto at least a remotely ammunition based theme. At that time everything from Eastern Europe was up for sale. A lot of military hardware, watches binoculars, night vision equipment etc was coming over as well. Most of it stolen I suspect

Unfortunately, this also included a lot of illegal pistols and ammunition.

You can still see it happening today, albeit legally now, with all the 7.62 x 54R rifles and ammunition flooding the market.

sksvlad,
To bring the topic back to the Nantional USAF Museum–and thanks for the pictures you have been posting!–the Air Force, starting with the Berlin Air Lift (USA Air Corps) had for many years supported the Berlin operations, and of course, what that display signifies is the “end” of the Berlin Wall, and in the big picture, the end of the “COLD WAR” era. In addition to actually supporting Berlin, the USAF stationed thousands of troops and planes in Europe to support the Cold War efforts, and then had thousands more supporting the nuclear deterrent from many stateside locations. Therefore, this display is very significant to the USAF History, which the museum depicts. No, we in the AF don’t think it will fly–it couldn’t even maintain “typical” autobahn speeds, and caused large backups in the early '90s as even the trucks had to take to the left lane to overtake them.

Thanks again for the pictures you have been posting!
Taber

Would it actually be “stolen” if the communist government that owned it no longer existed?