Tracer Cal. .45 - T30 / X45 - 827

Box I bought at auction in my home state recently. I have no info on them as to why they were made.

Joe,

Nice find! The T30 became the M26 in 1946 so that was the .45 ACP tracer designation most commonly used in WWII.

Dave

I see now I stated my question incorrectly.
What I am wondering is the Lot number of X45 - 827. Who requested this production order?

Joe

Joe,

Great box, thanks for posting the photos.

Brian

Joe,

From HWS Vol. II, page 30: “During the first part of 1944, a request was received from the Ordnance Officer of the Hawaiian Department requesting a small quantity of Cal. .45 tracer cartridges for the submachine gun to be used in training by the Jungle Training Center.”

Frankford Arsenal made 10,000 rounds with a modified M1 tracer bullet which worked well, so 90,000 more rounds were made and sent to Hawaii. On 13 January 1944 that round became designated Cartridge, Tracer, Cal. .45 T30 by the Office of the Chief of Ordnance. During March 1944, 1 million rounds more were ordered.

Lot FAX45-843 of the T30, loaded during March 1944 had a white trace mixture with a white bullet tip and “+” stamped in the nose of the bullet. The case was zinc-plated steel and was headstamped F A 4.

Since Lot 843 was loaded in March 1944, it makes sense that your earlier Lot 827 with red tracer was loaded in January 1944. I agree with others: It’s a great box.

Shortly thereafter, the round was modified to make it a better survival signal. The T30 had a high velocity and short trace, and for survival signaling, a lower velocity with a longer trace is helpful. Aircraft crews searching for a survivor might be discouraged by red tracer rounds coming up at them and decide to search elsewhere.