Tracer IDs

Can anybody tell me details of these two tracer cartridges? 7.62x51 NATO.

Left is a low velocity tracer with a firing adapter for sub caliber use. What is the training use? Country? HS is 7 070 4 with 1/2 of base painted black.

Right is another tracer. No idea what it is. HS is 6 027 8. Three stake primer crimp, green PA.

Sorry about the quickie photo.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Ray

Left is a low velocity tracer with a firing adapter for sub caliber use. What is the training use? Country? HS is 7 070 4 with 1/2 of base painted black

It’s a Sub-Cal Round for the 84 mmm Carl Gustav AT weapon made in 1974, it’s Swedish made by (I hope I have this right) Ammunitionsfabriken Karlsborg, (Nammo/Van

Kevin

Thanks for that great response. Exactly what I was hoping to find out.

Ray

Is the “cap” primed with a 6mm Flobert blank? Is this used to ignite a “back blast” since it wouldn’t make much of one on it’s own?

Paul

White tip Swedish rounds with half black case heads also exist, I believe that was a posting few months ago suggesting the white tip sub-caliber rounds were for Swedish army use while the red tipped rounds were for export to NATO countries.

Dave S

[quote=“rimfire”]Is the “cap” primed with a 6mm Flobert blank? Is this used to ignite a “back blast” since it wouldn’t make much of one on it’s own?

Paul[/quote]

Paul

I think that’s what it is. Copper, “acorn” headstamp.

Dave

The white-tipped one does not have the striped base. It has a 3-stake primer with green PA.

Ray

I’ve fired one of the Carl Gustaf adaptors (in 6.5x55, but it’s arranged and works the same way as the version in 7.62). The “cap” is supposed to simulate the “pop” you hear when the igniter on the rocket motor first ignites, while part of the propellant from the tracer round is used to simulate the backblast. They did it this way because it takes a considerable time between pressing the firing trigger and having the warhead leave the launch tube, and they found that many users would relax and allow the tube to go “off aim” as soon as they heard that initial “pop”. This would result in a miss, so they needed some way of pounding it into trainees that you need to keep the CG aimed until well after the missile is on its way.