Training cartridge?

Can you help me with this:
Overall length of first piece: 44mm
Length from base to shoulder of first piece: 31mm
Diameter of the base: approximately 11.9mm
Internal diameter: approximately 5.5mm

there was another part, also in stell, which seems to be encased above. The overall length is about 60mm.

Thanks
Domi

It is for a .22 sub calibre adaptor for the US .30 Browning MG c1940s.

thank you.

Do you have any more information about this?
How does it function?

Domi

Domi

The entire unit consisted of 3 parts. The shell holder, the belt adapter, and the clip. You are missing the clip.

The 22 LR cartridge was seated in the shell holder which, in turn, was inserted in the belt adapter. The loaded unit was then inserted in a special web belt and the steel clip snapped over the little tit on the adapter to hold the entire unit in the belt. (The clip actually held 2 units in place) In operation, the holder was extracted from the adapter and fed into the chamber for firing. The adapter remained in the belt.

This seems like a complicated way to use 22 LR cartridges to train MG users but I guess it worked. As far as I know the device was officially known as the Cal. .22 Cartridge Holder.

Ray

Thank you very much Ray

Domi

Here’s an illustration of the setup from Hackley, Woodin and Scranton’s History of Modern U.S. Military Small Arms Ammunition, Vol 2 to go along with Ray’s excellent and concise description. As common as these things should be, I have never actually seen any of the components other than the shell holders, or perhaps I just wasn’t aware of what I was looking at at the time.

Guy

You do find them on the 2 online auction sites from time to time. I got mine on AA.

The problem is that the person selling them usually doesn’t have a clue as to what they are and you can miss them completely because of the title given.

The little clips are the part that is really hard to find. I think Pete De C had complete units a while back but can’t say that he still has any.

Ray

Thank you guys,

But what I don’t understand is : the .22LR is a rimfire cartridge! How can it be fire?

Domi

Domi, I had an entire display of this unit but have broken it down. Will try to find a picture of the display. the major unit was originally developed by David “Carbine” Williams. The original unit used the .22 LR cartridge by its self. feed problems were very common so a couple of ordnance engineers developed the cartridge holder. The unit consisted of a fixed 22 caliber barrel and a special light bolt. to get the proper power from the .22 cartridge the barrel had a “floating chamber” that increased the back thrust of the cartri dge. I was in the service from 1951 to 54 and they were still using the training device to fire at 1000" targets.

Gourd

Iv’e had one of these for years, thanks for clearing this up for me too.

TheGunCellar

Hi
I have this variation…

regards
Gyrojet

Very nice

domi

The clip that holds 2 rounds together looks like a clip from a removable link in a roller chain. It could even be a standard size which is used for a certain size of chain.

Hi Falcon
Yes it looks like that
I Have also the belt loaded version…

regards
Gyrojet

Loaded with a .22 long cartridge

regards

One of the neatest things I’ve ever seen. Are they rifled? And is the cloth belt version specific to that round or is it a standard cloth belt?

Wow! That realy is cool! What is the logic behind it though? Kinda confussed. Is it designed to save money using 22 ammo instead of 30 cal as TP? If so, the entire apparatus looks more expensive and complicated then just shooting normal standard ammo?

Jason[/i]

Jason - knowing the government, I doubt that economy was one of the factors in making these. I believe that the .22 version of the Browning MG was designed for training troops where a full-size, outdoor range was not available. I am not implying that these could not be used outdoors, of course, but it was a “short-range” device. Think “Gallery cartridge,” and I believe you will have the right idea of why these were made.

Thanks John! That does make allot of sense. I did not think of the range reduction component.

Jason