Translation of 1939 Bulgarian P08 Pamplet Pages, ctgs, boxes

I have some pages on 9mm from this book. What is the title and the source of this book. Would appreciate a translation.

Thanks!!!
Lew

Bulgarian language is similar to Russian. I will try to make a close translation, as possible:

МИНИСТЕРСТВО НА ВОЙНАТА - War Office

ПРАВИЛНИКЪ - instructions

за - of

ОБУЧЕНИЕ И ДЕЙСТВИЕ НА ПЕХОТАТА - teaching and operation (action) of the infantry

ЧАСТЬ I - Part I

ОПИСАНИЕ И СПАЗВАНЕ НА ОРЖЖИЕТО - manual (description) and usage of the weapon

ПИСТОЛЕТА “ПАРАБЕЛУМЪ” - pistol “Parabellum”

СОФИЯ - Sofia

Печатница на Военно-издателския фондъ - Press of the Military-publishing fund

I am not sure that translation of the word СПАЗВАНЕ as “usage” is correct

Hope this help

Hello Lew,

This is my best translation of bulgarian:

War Ministery

Instructions
for
Training and Infantry Usage
Part 1
Description and Observation of the weapon
"Parabellum" Pistol

Sofia
Military Press Publishing Fund

Many thanks!!!

Lew

Uh, how could I missed that thread!

Gentlemen, you are absolutelly right in your translations! Just one word little disturbes me - “СПАЗВАНЕ” - its obsolete meaning is “MAINTENANCE”. So it states "Description and Maintenance of the Weapon - “Parabellum” Pistol"
Very interesing Bulgarian 1939 document!

Lew, if you have more pages and questions it will be pleasure for me to translate them for you!

Ivo

I wish I had the entire document, unfortunately, I only have four more pages as follows. The three drawings I can figure out but would appreciate a translation of the other one. It is interesting that this 1939 document would picture a DWM cartridge made in 1911.

Cheers, Lew

It is very interesting for me too - this type of 9mm Para cartridges (with turncated cone bullet) had been made in Bulgaria, ВДФ - State Military Factory in Kazanlak until 1943-44 (my specimen is from 1943, Idon’t know the latest possible date for that particular type).

The translation goes:
Page 1

APPROVED
N. BAKARDJIEV
Major general
War Minister
30 July 1929

PARTS OF THE PISTOL

1. “Parabellum” Pistol Model 1911 is an automatic weapon, as after the shot the barrel with the breech are movable; the breech has a support and would be oppened only after the bullet has left the barrel.
  2. The “Parabellum” Pistol Model 1911 (drowing 1) is made up of 4 main parts, which are:

I. Barrel with breechbox - drawing 2.
II. Toggle breech with double grip - drawing 3.
III. Gunstock with handle - drawing 4.
IV. Magazine - drawing 5.

The barrel and the breach are called movable parts of the pistol, because during the shot they moove, and the gunstock and magazine are fixed.

a) Movable parts

I. Barrel with breechbox (Drawings 2 and 6), which are composed of:

1.Barrel
a) spiral rifling
b) thickening in the back
c) conical part

On the other pictures there are depicted: Гилза=Case, Патронъ=Cartridge, Куршумъ=Bullet, Капсюлъ=priming cap; Черт. No=Drawing No.

Take care and have fun!

Ivo

Thanks for the translation. I have Bulgarian truncated bullet loads dated 39, 40 and 43. I know of specimens with cases dated 33 and 34, but I don’t have ones that early.

Cheers,

Lew

Lew, I have 1939 too, but it is badly corroded and the previous owner has made attempts to clean it with sandpaper, thus almost completely ruined it. The sandpaper should not be considered as cleaning method at all!!
Sorry about errors in the previous post, I’m wandering what was my state of mind yesterday that made me write “drowing” instead of “drawing”? Hum-m-m-m!

Cheers,

Ivo

My truncated Bulgarian 9 mm Para rounds are dated 34, 40, 41-D (The “D” in the Cyrillic form), and 43. The 41-D date is also found with a FMJ CNCS RN bullet, but I don’t have it in that loading. I have a 33 date Bulgarian, but it is a wood bullet dummy, and the ogive of the wood bullet is round but very blunt, with long straight sides - very much like some heavy bullet sub-sonics, or the bullet that is called “Bala Punta Rosa” in Argentina. This case probably originally held a truncated FMJ bullet. It has a snapped primer. The 33 and 34 Truncated bullets are more rounded and have a longer truncation of the nose, resulting in a smaller-diameter meplat than the truncated bullets in the later-dated cases. It is more like a Glisenti bullet, with the later ones being closer to the German bullet in shape.

John, are you able to post a picture of your 1934 bulgarian load with turncated bullet for comparision of the bullet shapes?
This is my 1943 load:

and as far as I understood it has a common bullet shape for that particular year of manufacture.
Sorry for the bad quality of the pics!

Thank you in advance!

Ivo

Ivo,

I will photograph both the 34 date and a later date together. Give me a few days. I just got back from an out-
of-state cartridge show, and have not even totally unloaded my car yet. Aside from what I found there, I picked up all my ammo from the St. Louis show, which was brought to the Reno, Nevada show for me. So, I am a lot of work to do in the next few days putting away everything I took to the show, and sorting my new acquisitions from SLICS and Reno. Most important, is my camera is not set up, so I have to set it up for the pictures.

Here is a box from 1942:

First Picture:

Headstamp from 1934 VDF-manufacture Bulgarian 9 x 19 mm Parabellum cartridge, with truncated bullet.
Letters from 1933 and 1934 are the same, and are larger and a bit more “stylized” than later VDF headstamps of the identical content.

Second Picture:

1933 VDF cartridge showing the more rounded shape of the truncated bullet in comparison with one from 1940.

Third Picture:

A 1946 (actually printed in 1945 and overstamped 1946) label for a box which held eight, 16-round packets of
9 mm Para cartridges.

Fourth Picture:

Some additional Bulgarian 9 mm Para military boxes. The bottom two boxes are self-explanatory. The top box was a contract for Cuba, and contains brass-cased cartridges with GMCS FMJ RN bullets, with the headstamp on the case of “10 63.” Unseen in the picture is a lot number “202” stamped in purple ink on the long side of the box below the top of the box with its printed label in the Spanish language. The second box from the top is identical in construction and contents with the first box, but with no top label. Only the same sort of lot number, this one “309” stamped in the same place as that on the first box.

While I am assuming it is a lot number, it could also be a packer’s number. I simply don’t know.

John Moss Collection

Neat photos, never saw boxes like that!!!

Heh, the third picture also says:
9mm military cartridges for “Parabellum”, “Valther” , “Steyr” pistols and submachine gun M.P. 40 (“Schmeiser”(?!)) - It was and still is common here in Bulgaria to refer SMG MP 40 as a “Schmeiser”, albeit as far as I know Schmeiser had no connection with the design of the MP 40 SMG at all.

Sorry guys, I forgot to say thank you for the neat pictures!!
It is indeed obvious difference between early and late bullet shape, thanks again for visual clarification!

Cheers,
Ivo

Ivo - it is also common in the United States to call the MP38, MP38/40 and MP40 SMGs “Schmeissers” and
what I know of them corresponds to your information, that the Hugo Schmeisser firm had little or nothing to do
with the design.

Steyr must have made a lot of these guns, as while I have not seen a large amount of MP40s, of the few I have seen, most were made by Steyr. Of course, production figures may not bear that out.

Interesting that the box for the packets would mention so many weapon types. I guess Bulgaria probably had a lot of MP40s in service during the war, and of course, they were all over Europe after the war, so a lot of ammunition was probably geared to them.

I just noticed that in the caption for the picture showing two different bullet shapes for the truncated bullet, I said that the early one was a picture of a 1933 round. As the headstamp shows, that is a typo - it is a 1934 round. The error is mine, not that of Joe who posted the pictures for me. However, I cannot edit it so this note will have to stand for the correction.

The headstamp of the 1933 cartridge is the same style as that of 1934, but I don’t know if the bullet shape was the same, as my specimen of 1933-dated case is a wood-bullet dummy round. Probably, though, the bullet for the two years were the same.

I am surprised that even the war-time boxes show the city of location for the Arsenal, Kazanlak. Seems to me that would have been an invitation to bombing from the air.

John, I suppose that MP 40 in Bulgaria had been used well after the end of WWII. I also suppose that “Schmeisser” was collective name of almost all German SMGs ,some of them was indeed Hugo Schmeisser construction. And the STEN was called “The scythe”, because its magazine strongly resembles the handle of a scythe.

About bombing Kazanlak, I don’t heared about such event, but Sofia was badly damaged during 1943-44 campaign.

Cheers,
Ivo