Trench art / QA Process from unidentified case

Here’s a piece of trench art I’ve had for a while.

The headstamp is E and 15/B with a 2 on the primer. The rim diameter is 3.49" (88.6mm).

Any idea what it was originally, who made it and when?

Thanks,

Paul

1 Like

This is no trench art but often is mistaken for.

This is a case which went throuh a QA process in the factory.
And it is not done by only one factory but was/is a standard procedure with many manufacturers.
The last I heard of was made in the 1980s-1990s and I can not tell if this test still is done today.

1 Like

Obviously it is some kind of a global QC test measuring the malleability of the cartridge wall. Is such a test performed on small arms cartridges?

Vlad, “global” is a big word here as it seems to be common technical practice.

The smallest caliber I saw this test being applied to was a 37x94R made by Hotchkiss. And the largest I heard of was 105mm+ (sure also used with larger cases).

1 Like

I am using the term “global” to indicate testing of several parametres at the same time. Like applying vertical pressure onto an orthopaedic patient. He will complain of pain in the knees, back and neck. So he has multiple vertebrae problems on several levels and probably needs knee replacement. Several problems found with one test.

30x173, Mesko

Lebel WWAK, Mauser PWU FA

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.
A QA test sample makes it a little more interesting than just a Trench art piece.
Again any idea as to the ID of the original case, who made it and when was ir manufactured?

Paul

Przemyslaw, the 30x173 is great reference!
So the est is still not obsolete. Very good info. Thank you for sharing.

This is called axial crushing test and is typical of any metal industry dedicated to the manufacture of thin walled tubes or containers, including cartridge cases. The deformations found is those cases are called diamond buckles and occur when brass or soft steel is crushed.

2 Likes

Fede, thank you for giving the lead on terminology used in all this.

I did a short web search and found some material. Maybe of interest to people:

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1757-899X/346/1/012054/pdf

And then there is a practical use to this effect as it is used in applications for energy absorption (mainly in automotive designs).

Here some interesting images (souce and more images in link below):
Interesting to see the reverse effect happening with corrugated tube!
cor_exp

Here a multi edged structure:

http://yangli.academy/research.html

Here from another web source a square tube:

1 Like

Here one more doc with plenty of interesting images and effects:

Thesis_Yangli.pdf (6.4 MB)

1 Like