Triple Action Explosive Shrapnel Bullet From 1945

This page was posted on a, FB Ammunition Group, and I thought I would share it here. TOTALLY WILD ENGINEERING! I have never seen anything like it.

Jason

1 Like

Obviously designed with Vampires, or posibly Werewolves, in mind!
I wonder if either N0. 20 or No. 21 are silver pelets?

2 Likes

Haha!

Possibly a, Wilie Coyotee, ACME invention?

Seriously, this was really a projectile at one time?

Jason

2 Likes

There is, indeed an official Patent… :slight_smile:
Google on Triple Action Explosive Shrapnel Bullet gives even 2 more strange grenades, but this one works (?) says the the Patent as follows:

Description

March 15, 1949.

J. PALAGONIA TRIPLE ACTION EXPLOSIVE SHRAPNEL BULLET Filed Feb. 2, 1945 IN V EN TOR.

ATTORNEK Patented Mar. 15, 1949 are,

ENT OFFHC TRIPLE ACTION EXPLOSIVE SHRAPN EL BULLET Joseph Raymond Palagonia, Ridgewood, N. Y. Application February 2, 1945, Serial No. 575,762

2 Claims. 1

This invention relates to new and useful improvements in a bullet.

This application is a substitute of my abandoned application deposited in the United States Patent Oflice on October 28, 1940.

More specifically, the present invention proposes the construction of a shrapnel explosive, especially an explosive projectile having three projec tiles connected together for unitary flight and explosion, each of the projectiles being shrapnel carrying.

Still further, it is proposed to provide a device as aforesaid in which the three projectiles are disposed in the same plane but at right angles to each other, two of the projectiles being aligned and together intersecting and being secured to the other projectile.

Another object is to provide a bullet as aforesaid having a cylindrical projectile acting as the carrying agent for the other projectiles, the other projectiles being streamlined similar to the wings of an airplane to minimize air friction and resistance.

For further comprehension of the invention, and of the objects and advantages thereof, reference will be had to the following description and accompanying drawings, and to the appended claims in which the various novel features of the invention are more particularly set forth.

In the accompanying drawings forming a material part of this disclosure:

Fig. 1 is a side view of a rifle provided with a bullet constructed in accordance with this invention.

Fig. 2 is an enlarged axial section through the bullet, the rifle barrel being indicated in dot-dash lines.

Fig. 3 is a plan view of a bullet constructed in accordance with a modification of this invention, in flight.

Fig. 4 is an enlarged section on the line 4-4 of Fig. 3 looking in the direction of the arrows.

Fig. 5 is a view similar to Fig. 2 of a bullet constructed in accordance with a further modification of this invention.

Fig. 6 is a View similar to Fig. 2 of a bullet constructed in accordance with a further modification of this invention.

The bullet, according to this invention, comprises a longitudinal shell l0 extending in the proposed direction of flight, and two other shells H and I2 disposed at right angles to shell ID on opposite sides thereof, and being aligned with each other. Shell Ill forms a part of the projectile, and shells l I and I2 each forms a part of another pro- 2 jectile, there being three projectiles to the bullet.

The projectiles of shells ll and i2 are similar and each is connected to the shell I!) by having its rear end disposed in an orific IS in the shell Ill intermediate its ends. Shells ill, I l and [2 are preferably securely fastened together, as by welding The bullets may be made in any size. For instance they may be made to fit rifles, or they may be made to be used in small cannons such as mortars. In Fig. 1 the bullet is shown assembled with a rifle I4, the rifle being of a calibre such as a .30-30 and having its barrel end 15 enlarged to receive the rear end of the shell Ill. The bullet is projected from the barrel by a charge contained in the gun barrel and fired in a conventional way. That is to say, the rifle or cannon, neither of which form a part of this invention, will be adapted to project the bullet therefrom.

The shell ID has a main charge of gunpowder it between the orifices l3, that is to say, at a position where it will affect all three projectiles in substantially the same manner.

Each shell has a port I! in its outer end, a firing pin l8 slidably disposed in the port and coast.- ing at its inner end with an explosive charge or device ii! in the nose of the shell, a fuse 20 extending from the device l9 to the main charge 16, and a charge of shrapnel 2| around the fuse 20. Each fuse 20 ends in guncotton 22 adjacent the charge l6.

The pin l8, device I9, fuse 20 and guncotton 22 forms a combination fuse, time and percussion mechanism for exploding the main charge 16. Ordinarily the bullet will fire from the pin H in the end of the shell 10 and therefore, in some cases if desired, the combination fuse, time and percussion mechanism may be omitted from the shells H and I2. 1 1

Shell l0 also includes a shrapnel charge behind the main charge It, but if desired this may be omitted and this part of the shell ill padded with wads of felt and cotton.

The bullet is especially adapted for shrapnel shooting from small arms such as infantry rifies or machine guns at close range Where aim is of minor importance and shrapnel spread is of-major importance. It has been found that a single shrapnel tube is not efficient due to its tendency to over shoot the mark and to pass through the desired area without exploding. The shrapnel bullet of the present invention, provided with the three project les at right angles to each othenis devised to explode-at its target with more regularity. This is due to the fact that the bullet has an effec- 3 tive cross sectional area equal to the distance from the tip of shell I l to the tip of shell l2, it has three firing pins [1, any one of which will explode the bullet, and further because the shells II and i2 retard the flight and give the bullet a greater chance of hitting its target and exploding.

The pins I7 may explode the bullet either by contact with the target or some adjacent structure, or they may be part of timing mechanism for exploding the bullet after it has travelled a predetermined distance.

The operation of the bullet is as follows:

The bullet is aimed by means of the rifle and discharged from the rifle by the charge in the rifle. This charge may be separate from the bullet or may be contained in a shell connected to the shell l similarly to the way a shell is connected to a solid metal .30-30 rifle slug.

The bullet, after being discharged, travels to its target, which upon being hit, actuates the pin I! of shell ID to explode the device l9, set the fuse 20 afire, and then the guncotton 22, whereupon the main charge It is exploded. The main charge IE, on exploding, shatters the shells III, II and I2, scattering their shrapnel charge. Thus the bullet has a heavy shrapnel spread in comparison with the calibre of the shell l0.

Should the bullet miss its target, or be deflected by some object, the shells H and i2 would tend to whirl the bullet, causing it to hit something near the target. In this way, the chance of one of the three pins being ac tuated is very good and thus the bullet has a maximum chance of exploding at or near its target. Furthermore, as the three shells are directed in three different directions, the shrapnel has a tendency to cover a larger area than it would if it were all stored in one shell.

A bullet constructed in accordance with a modification of this invention is shown in Figs. 3 and 4. In the main, it is similar to the bullet of Fig. 1 and like parts are designated by like references with an accent added. The modified bullet distinguishes from the bullet of Figs. 1 and 2 in that the shells H and I2 are elliptical in cross section, as is clearly shown in Fig. 4, this shape streamlining the bullet, the shells H’ and I2 acting as wings, enabling the bullet to soar similar to a jet-propelled rocket projectile.

A bullet of the triple-action type constructed in accordance with a further modification of this invention is shown in Fig, 5. It distinguishes from the bullet of Figs. 1 and 2 in that each of the shells l0" and I2" contains an explosive charge l6. In this form of the invention when the main charge l6" explodes, it causes shells IT to fly each in opposite directions, and hitting objects in their respective areas and also exploding, thus causing damage in three entirely separated areas.

A single action bullet having some of the features of the present invention is shown in Fig. 6. This bullet has the usual powder containing shell 23 adapted to flt in the rear end of a rifle or machine gun barrel. The projectile of this bullet includes a shell l0’, a firing pin I’I’, powder l9’, wads 25, and shot 2l’. This bullet is suitable for .30-30, .50 02.1., or large calibre, and for 20’ mm. It may also be made without the time fuse 20’, being operated by the firing pin l’l’ only.

While I have illustrated and described the preferred embodiments of my invention, it is to be understood that I do not limit myself to the precise constructions herein disclosed and the right is reserved to all changes and modifications coming within the scope of the invention as defined in the appended claims.

Having thus described my invention, what I claim as new, and desire to secure by United States Letters Patent is:

1. An explosive projectile comprising a cylinder insertable in a gun barrel and provided with containers extending from opposite sides thereof and disposed at approximately right angles thereto and located inwardly of the forward end of said cylinder, said cylinder having a nose at its forward end provided with a firing pin projecting outwardly thereof, each of the containers having a nose at its outer end provided with a firing pin projecting outwardly thereof and being streamlined in cross section, the whole unit having the general form of an airplane and capable of plane flight when projected, said cylinder being supplied with a shrapnel explosive charge located between the inner ends of said containers each of said containers being supplied with a shrapnel explosive charge at their inner ends adjacent said cylinder, and a fuse extending from each of said firing pins to the explosive charge of the respective cylinder or container.

2. An explosive projectile comprising a hollow longitudinal shell having a nose at its front end, hollow shells extending at right angles from diametrically opposite sides of said longitudinal shell and being in contact with the interior of said longitudinal shell, said hollow shells having noses at their outer ends, a firing-pin mounted in each of said noses, an explosive charge mounted in said longitudinal shell between the inner ends of said hollow shells, an explosive charge mounted in each of said hollow shells adjacent the inner ends thereof, fuses extended longitudinally through said shells between said firing pins and the respective explosive charges, said fuses being of a cross-sectional diameter considerably less than the inside cross-sectional diameter of said shells, and shrapnel filling the space about each of said fuses in each of said shells between the adjacent faces of the respective firing pin and explosive charge.

JOSEPH PALAGONIA.

REFERENCES CITED The following references are of record in the file of this patent:

UNITED STATES PATENTS Number Name Date 697,703 Callaway Apr. 15, 1902 940,527 Hale Nov. 16, 1909 945,544 Ziegenfuss Jan. 4, 1910 965,809 Gebauer July 26, 1910 1,211,936 Gunter et al Jan. 9, 1917 1,244,298 Cutting Oct. 23, 1917 1,275,660 Clark Aug. 13, 1918 1,276,547 Kupec et al Aug. 20, 1918 1,295,176 Koval] Feb. 25, 1919 1,301,907 Close Apr. 29, 1919 2,359,192 Beblo Sept. 26, 1944 FOREIGN PATENTS Number Country Date 4.684 Great Britain 1912 295,964 Italy May 4, 1932 93,748 Sweden Dec. 14, 1938

3 Likes

Thank you so much, Jaco!

his is awesome and real! Very very cool!

Jason

US2464604.pdf (361.3 KB)

1 Like

So awesome! Guessing not many in private collections?

Jason