''Triumph'' Meriden Shot Shell

I suspect “Triumph” is the powder used in this Meriden Fire Arms Shot Shell, can anyone tell me if my assumption is correct, who and where manufactured Triumph Gun Powder? Thanks

Could we see the headstamp of this shell?

Thanks, nice shell.
Sorry to be of no help on the powder.

Thanks Pete.

Powdertim aka W. Adye White can probably be of help here

Triumph powder is obviously smokeless and that is beyond my area of interest. Sorry I can not help on this one.
Cheers,
Will.

I have one of these shells and one marked Pointer. My understanding was that Sears was the parent company and marketed Pointer and Triumph , both smokeless (made by Meriden) . I think Sears stopped making the Meriden line of shotguns around 1918-19 . Likely the ammunition line ended then also…
Just found this; Meriden Fire Arms Co.
Sears may not have been the parent company just had them make the ammo.
edited to add link.

Thank you Will for checking in.

The three topwads I have.(the left example is a low base shell)
All with the same headstamp as shown, & you may know they were also stamped No 12 & both hs exist in 10 bore.
But that doesn’t answer the question.

1 Like

This is all I can add at this tme from a Sears Roebuck Company advertisment for Meriden shotshells.
Reading the rest of the ad to see if they sayanything about the powder used…
The entire picture is too large to post here right now.

1 Like

Seems to be a mystery as to the reference of “Triumph”, thanks to everyone for checking in on this request.

It could simply be that the Triumph branding was the 3 1/4 dram load?

This might confuse the matter, pictures of a two piece empty M. Ward Red Head box with one of the end panels depicting a shell with “Triumph”, all I know is this box was loaded with smokeless powder shells.

2 Likes

John Kuntz does the trademark column in the IAA Journal. Perhaps you should send him an e-mail?

I know he looks at the forum once in awhile but doesn’t publicly contribute.

1 Like

Sears marketed the Pointer shotshell loaded with Triumph powder between c. 1906 and 1909 (according to catalogs). It is described as a smokeless bulk powder imported from England. Not longer mentioned in the 1910 catalog.

Regarding the trademark, they may have had a legal issue with Judson Dynamite & Powder Co. of San Francisco, California, because this company registered the Triumph trademark for high explosives on February 19, 1907 (applied on August 30, 1906).

Regards,

Fede

2 Likes

Hey thanks Fede for the info, you’ve solved the mystery as to “Triumph” Meriden shells. Tim

tjr699,
Great box you should put it in the topic "my favourite box"C

Cheers :blush: :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

As promised, here is the resized and cleaned up page, and corrected the image as much as I could.
I hae no idea what the date of the catalogue is.

1 Like

Thank you

are Sears catalogues on line ?
JP