Tula + Ulyanovsk merger?

I just saw a new box of .223 rem. cartridges that by all appearances were made by Ulyanovsk, but the box says they were made by Tula. The Ulyanovsk logo is on the box front and sides and on the headstamp, but on the back of the box it says made at Tula. Did these two manufacturers merge?

Very similar new box of 7.62x39mm has the same design and headstamp layout as the .223, but says made by Ulyanovsk.

Maybe Ulyanovsk is making the cases and packaging and then sending them to tula to load?

Any ideas?

I’ve noticed this too.

All these websites advertise the ammo as being “Tula”, and yet the black & white boxes clearly show the Ulyanovsk double arrow design along with the cartridges having the double arrow on the headstamps.

Curious.

Here’s a link for the only company that I’ve found for some 9mmP that has an actual “Tula” black & white box similar to what’s being currently advertised as Tula with Ulyanovsk headstamped cases:

google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt … s%3Disch:1

There is a Federation of Russian Ammunition Makers, and I suspect there is collaboration among them. I believe the factories operate independently to a point, but also that they cooperate with each other to fill orders and contracts. There doesn’t seem to be the total brand integrity that there was when Russian ammo first started coming into the USA. Even Wolf, which was purely a Tula brand at first, has been found now with other company’s products in them, but bearing the Wolf headstamp.

There is a new Tula brand as well - something like Tulammo. They have their own headstamp.
I haven’t seen it yet, but it was advertised.

John Moss

Barnaul also has a different logo in their headstamp.

The new Barnaul Logo has also appeared on 9 x 19 mm Parabellum and 9 x 18 mm Makarov, at least.

John Moss

The new Barnaul Logo has also appeared on 7.62 x 39.

Headstamp 9 x 19 mm Parabellum

This is just the “new” logo since the old was basically illegible to anybody who was not really into it and way too filigree. Here they have now the three letters “BPZ” in bullet shape.

Just to fill in, BPZ stands for Barnaul Patronney Zavod, or “Barnaul Cartridge Works.”

John Moss

John, allow me to correct you a little then. The “B” stands for “Barnaulskii” what translates in total to something like “Barnaul’s Cartridge Works” of course it makes more sense in English to say as you did.

EOD - I apologise for the error. I did not realize that the name of the factory itself changed form in Russian from simply Barnaul, depending on how it was used. Thank you for setting the record straight. I wish I could read and write Russian at least - it has been one of my major problems in trying to write a truly comprehensive book on the 9 x 18 mm pistols and ammunition.
I should have picked Spanish or Italian guns to write about, or better yet, some American gun.

Still, with help from you and a hundred other people (literally) I have made a lot of progress with the subject.

You know, thinking about it, I was really ignorant with my use of Barnaul. Down deep, without thinking of it, I knew that the name’s change since “Tula” in the same context as the Barnaul headstamp becomes “Tulski Patronney Zavod” when transliterated. How stupid of me! Of course, there are also different ways to spell the transliteration into the Western Alphabet.

Thanks again, EOD, for waking me up! : )

John Moss

John, no problem at all!!!