Turkish Maxim belt box translation needed

Hello,

I have seen that some members have capabilities in translating foreign texts, so dare to post this question :)

Can anyone help translating this Turkish text painted on a 250-round Maxim belt box exported by DWM to Turkey prior to WW1.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

JFL

I am told that it says “Bullet box” (ammunition box) in Arabic and that the first word is mis-spelled (one letter missing).

I suspect that “ammunition container” would be a better translation. It is almost imporssible to translate the various Arabic languages word-for-word into English. Thinking of it, a direct word for word translation doesn’t always work perfectly from any one langugae to any other language.

Turkish is no Arabic language. So if the text is original and Arabic I question it is a Turkish box.
Hans

Turkey adopted Latin script in 1929. Before that they had used Arabic script.

Some Arabic speaking countries were occupied by Ottoman Empire. Possibly this message was intended for local soldiers who did not speak Turkish.

Vince - Hello, my friend. It is great to see you back on the Forum!

No matter what the original language is and what the language into which the text is translated, it is more important to translate gist into gist than word for word. The latter results in utter confusion at worst and low humor at best. Jack

Hello,

thank you for the translation.

Cheers,

JFL

Just for fun, an example of the cartridge pocket numbering in Arabic script on a DWM Maxim belt in cal. 7,65x54 exported to Turkey prior to WW1. Illustration excerpted from my article on Turkish Maxim belts I published in the US magazine Small Arms Review in January 2007.

pocket number on top reads 225 and bottom 25

Cheers,

JFL

The Turkish Language, being a derivative of Central Asian Turkic Language group, but since the 1300s, has been using the Arabic Script ( due to Islam) to write the Turkish sounds ( how ever imperfectly, as Spoken Turkish is completely different from Spoken Arabic …But 600 years of adding Arabic Words to the Turkish Language has had its effect, especially in Ordnance Terminology ( although the Ottoman Turks also “Turkified” French, English and German Terms as well)

If One has not a good knowledge of Classical Turkish (Arabic) Script, one must fall back on the interpretations of the sounds from reading the script, letter by letter ( as in Arabic), transliterating it into Latin script, and then go looking for the work in a Modern Turkish Dictionary. The Turkish language was westernised in 1928-29, by decree. The Use of the Western Latin Alphabet along with a set of Diacritical Marks ( umlauts, cedillas, etc) to modify the Letters to particular Turkish pronunciations, simplified the Language, which was no longer met by the limitations of a purely “Arabic” script system.

The other thing I would please ask the owner of the “Turkish” Maxim ammo box…please take detailed measurements of the Box, LBD, th.of wood, size of Hinges, size of dovetails, handles, Latches, etc,etc, so that we, as Film Ordnance Services, can replicate the boxes for Film use…these wooden boxes were also used for MG08s, MG08/15s and Schwarzelose MGs during WW I before the late introduction of the pressed steel can in late 1917-8. ( Inch or Metric measurements are OK)

The Latch is especially important, since we can’t find any current maker of these “press latches” and have to make them ourselves.

Great Find

Doc AV
AV Ballistics Film Ordnance Services
Brisbane Australia

info@avballistics.com.au