Two unknown Utendoerffer

I have in my collection two rounds with Utendoerffer headstamp. I don’t know anything about these, not even the proper caliber name. Here is the first one:

The bullet diameter is around 12,7 mm, and the length of the case is 44 mm. Here is also the headstamp:

The second round:

Bullet diameter: 7,95 mm, and case lenght: 57 mm. It is very close to the .303, but the rim diameter is smaller, 12,3 mm, compared to 13,4 on the .303. Here’s the headstamp on this last one:

I would appreciate your information.

Regards Thor

The second round looks like a standard 8 X 57 JR to me. That’s the rimmed version of the 7.92 x 57 Mauser round, and it was used in single-shot and double rifles quite a bit. I used to have a nice Sauer 7.9 x 57JR double rifle, but couldn’t find a load where the barrels would shoot together at 100 yards, or even fifty yards. At the latter, they were over four inches apart, although each grouped well on its own. Only one bullet weight could be found then, Norma 196 grain bullets.

Lovely rifle though, although I honestly believe the British “own” the double rifle. None of the continental ones ever match up for style, and few do for quality. Of course, then we must say that the prices don’t match up to the British rifles either, which is why my only shot at double rifles was a German one.

Thank you so much for the information, it’s good to remove yet another one from the unknown box.

Regards Thor

The bottom cartridge could be the 8mm x 57R 360, a cartridge based on the British .360 case.

Ok, so how can I distinguish 8 x 57 R 360 from 8 x 57 JR ?

The 8mm x 57 JR has a larger rim Diameter and a shorter Neck length. Roughly 1mm larger rim dia and 1mm shorter neck length. There maybe other differences.

The first one appears to be the 12.7x44R Swedish Remington.

The second one is (as armourer queries) is the 8x57R/360 often confused for the 8x57JR

Both are already known with this Utendoerffer hs.

Thanks for all your help, I have a lot to learn.

Regards Thor

[quote=“psg-1”]I have a lot to learn.

Regards Thor[/quote]

Thats part of the fun :)

I am still learning things from this forum every week.

The 8mm x 57 JR has a larger rim Diameter and a shorter Neck length. Roughly 1mm larger rim dia and 1mm shorter neck length. There maybe other differences.[/quote]

Ok, so I messured this round, compared it to a 8 x 57 JR, and you’re right. It is the 8 x 57 R 360. I didn’t even know about this caliber.

Thanks a lot, everyone.

Regards Thor H