U.M.C. S H .44 C.F. (44-40) time frame?

Would anyone happen to know the approximate time frame that U.M.C. used the “S H” designation in their head stamps?
I checked the on line UMC catalogs (thank you!) but did not find any reference.

I do have a copy of the Marlin 1897 catalog and the .44-40 cartridge illustration does show that designation

Thank you for your help.

John

I had forgot to mention that the cartridges contained a 217 gr. lead bullet which, according to the catalogs, was used by U.M.C. in the 44-40 from 1887-1904.

The cartridge illustrations in the 1889 & 1896 catalogs do show the S H designation in some of the head stamps.

The next U.M.C. catalog to show cartridge illustrations is the 1905 which indicates that the S H designation has been eliminated.

So it appears that likely the S H moniker appeared before 1889 and was discontinued sometime between 1897 and 1905.

I do also have some U.M.C. .44-40 head stamped cartridges that contain the same 217 gr bullet so I wonder if they were made between 1897 and 1904 or did U.M.C. use that and the S H .44 C.F. during portions of that period between 1897-1904 or earlier… (?).

w30wcf

John,

From the International Cartridge Collector Association (ICCA, precursor to the IAA) supplemental publication, Vol. 2 #2, 1970; is the article “The Union Metallic Cartridge Company” by Col. B.R. Lewis (world renowned authority on cartridges and firearms). In his article Lewis states UMC started using the “UMC SH” headstamp in 1885 as solid head cartridges were quickly replacing folded head (black powder) cartridges at the time. This was the result of the development and use of larger cartridge cases, higher velocity cartridges and the advent of smokeless powder loads. The solid head designation continued in use on some cartridges until 1912 with the combination of UMC and Remington.

If you check the IAA cumulative index ( cartridgecollectors.org/?page=IA … tive-index ) there are listings for UMC SH cartridges in some of the earlier ICCA bulletins. This was an often discussion subject in the 1960’s and 1970’s in the ICCA and local cartridge collecting association newsletters. Wish I could be of more help but this not my area of interest.

Attached is a photo (not the greatest) of a typewritten UMC SH list from one of the old local cartridge collecting associations, circa early 1970’s.

Brian

Brian,
Thank you very much for the information. I really appreciate it.

I had purchased the cartridges in question from an online auction recently. I dissected a few of them and found that they contained the standard 40 grs. of black powder.

I decided to test a few of them for ballistics after replacing the dead mercuric primers. I was quite surprised when they produced an average of 10% greater velocity (1,430 f.p.s.) than the std factory ballistics of 1,300 f.p.s. (!!)

w30wcf