U.S. 90mm HEP-T or HESH-T paint and markings?

In the 1950s the HEP- High Explosive Plastic (or sometimes HESH- High Explosive Squash Head) anti tank rounds were considered to be classified, and I cannot find any information on the way they were painted or marked.

Information or photos showing marking and colors would be greatly appreciated, especially for the 90mm HEP-T T142E3 projectile which might have been later adopted as the HESH-T M691

There are also 105mm HEP-T projectiles and paint and markings would probably be similar.
Thanks!

It should be in a number of the most common publications - TM 9-1900, 9-1904 etc. I’m at work and cannot hunt, found a pic of mine, but no markings.

1 Like

JohnS,
Try TM 9-1300-203 (1967) pg 22, TM 9-1300-200 pg 18. Both are pretty general and you’re right about the details being classified.

Green enamel, Class No. 3412 and yellow stencil ink, Class No. 3305.

Markings on 155mm:

THANK YOU ALL!

As usual, Fede come up with incredibly detailed and accurate information on the most obscure ammo related topics. You are amazing!

TC464’s two specific references, especially the second one on pages 1-2 through 1-10 (16-27 in the .pdf) are exceptionally useful, listing the color codes for the different types of munitions.

The second one specifically notes that the first generation system was used prior to 1962; the second generation circa 1962-1976; and the third from 1976 to at least 1993 (the date of the latest change incorporated in that version of the manual). Then it describes them, and even provides several pages of mages showing the changes for different types of projectiles under the three different generations.

In the specific case of the HEP rounds, they started as all olive drab with yellow markings, then circa 1962 changed to add a black band.