U.s ammunition makers lot numbers reference

hi folks,i’m new to this board but it look like the right place to ask the following-

I was wondering if someone might point me in the right direction.I’m
looking for some reference material(printed or online)that lists lot
numbers from the various manufactures during ww2 and possibly ww1 as they
relate to the dates they were made.I like to collect various full boxes to
display with my firearms and don’t like to open sealed boxes.If there is
no one book that covers all plants,i would settle for any individual(i.e
denver,frankford,winchester etc.)

I have asked the same question long time ago, but didn’t get an answer
I guess these lists are not available. One option could be to have a shared
document where members have access and can add their manufacturers
with lot numbers dates etc.

Don’t know if that is possible with our forum

cheers
René

skin

There is a list of blocks of lot numbers that were assigned to the various Ordnance Plants during WWII. I looked at it just a week or so ago but I’ll be danged if I can remember where it was. In one of the back issues of the IAA JOURNAL?? I’ve got to start writing this stuff down. I can no longer depend on my steel-trap mind. ;)

The only way that I know of to relate the lot numbers to specific dates is to catalog the various boxes that you come across until you develop a pattern. I have been doing that with lot numbers of the post WWII National Match ammo and I now have a good idea of the year a particular lot was made.

References such as HWS I and II are a big help.

I’ll try to remember where the aforementioned list is and I’ll post it here if/when I find it.
Ray

[quote=“RayMeketa”]skin

. . . . . I looked at it just a week or so ago but I’ll be danged if I can remember where it was. In one of the back issues of the IAA JOURNAL?? I’ve got to start writing this stuff down. I can no longer depend on my steel-trap mind. ;)
Ray[/quote]

I sure hope you at least REMEMBER THE ALAMO! Or was it the MAINE? I forget.

Aha! I’m not ready for The Home yet. I figured if I had recently looked at the list it would be in the JOURNAL issue on top of the pile. Because I never put a back issue where it belongs - it always goes on the top. And sure enough, there it was. Issue number [color=#FF0000]452[/color], page 44.

I remember the Alamo because that’s where John Wayne and I first met. Maine is a State, Rick. Kinda like Arkansaw only colder.

Ray

Check out viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7233 and it will tell you who to contact to buy either a paper copy of an electornic copy of a back issue of the Journal.

Cheers,

Lew

So, I just got a copy of these two pages and had the idea of putting some lists together.
But looking at the very first boxes, I got puzzeled already:

Example:
The article says: 20000 - 21999 Des Moines Ordnance Plant (DM)

Then I had a look at some boxes:

Ball M1 DM 20155
Ball M1 DM 20919

Tracer M1 DM20288

Frangible M-22 DM 20016

Doesn’t really make sence. Des Moines started in january 1942 and one of their first
lot-numbers is for a 1944-or 1945 cartridge. Did they mix up lot-numbers between
different ammo types ??

for example
Lot 20000 ball
Lot 20001 Tracer
Lot 20001 AP

or did they reserve the first 25, 50, 100 lot-numbers for something special ??
Questions over questions.
Anybody got answers ??

cheers
René

Rene

You are taking on a daunting task and I commend you for it.

I have always assumed that the same lot number could be used for different ammunition types. For example, you could have AP M2 DM Lot#21255, and Tracer M1 DM Lot#21255. If you look at FA lot numbers you will find a lot of duplications.

But, it’s also possible that the Ordnance Plant could have set up their own internal blocks of lot numbers within the overall block of numbers. I don’t think you’ll be able to see any patterns until you build up a reasonable data base.

Good Luck

Ray

thanks all,i’ll order that back issue for starters-scott

Although not exactly what you see, perhaps this might be helpful.
http://www.cartridgecollectors.org/30-06intro/ammo-nctable.htm

Also, Hackley, Woodin & Scranton Volume 2 has some lot numbers for the 1940-45 period.

thanks for the corrosive dates list,that is very helpful from a shooting perspective-scott