U.S.C.Co. 9 mm Browning Long Label

Recently there has been a great deal of discussion about U.S. Export 25-round pistol cartridge boxes dating from the pre-WWII era. Attached is a photo of a remnant U.S.C.Co. 9 mm Browning Long 25-round box, which from the mention by name only of the Husqvarna m/07 version of the 9 mm BL Model 1903 FN-Browning, I would assume it was either made for Sweden, or if a later box, then possibly made for Colombia, who received about 1,000 of the Husqvarna pistols in the 1930s.

It seems to be a rare box. If anyone can supply photos of the missing elements of this torn-off box lid, it would be appreciated.

Can anyone date this box for the style of the US trademark and other features of the labeling? Even a production date-spread would be appreciated.

John Moss9%20BL%20USCCO%20Box%20Partial%20Label

1 Like

Very nice label John!
Thanks for the picture.
Dan

John,
Great label and an important addition to the story of US production of this round. A quick check, with the help of a friend in Scandinavia seems to indicate that only three US companies have ever made 9mm BL, Remington & USCCO before WWII and Midway after the war. Remington shop records indicate their first production was in early 1914 and was for export. USCCO is harder since their box code, before their production moved to Winchester (Sep 1926) and the company moved from Lowell to New York is a complete mystery as far as I know.

I do know that the box style illustrated by John was discontinued by USCCO well before production moved to New Haven CT. I am pretty confident that this box style was never used for 9mm Luger. USCCO was making 9mm Glisenti ammunition beginning the end of 1917 and through 1918 on the Maxim contract for Italy, but 9mm Luger first shows up in a supplement to their 1919 catalog, so roughly 1920. It seems logical that whatever market attracted Rem-Umc in 1914 likely also attracted USCCO.

Since the Husqvarna pistol referenced on the label was designated the M07, it seems this ammunition must have been produced between 1908 and 1920. Based on Rem-UMC production, my guess is it was about the middle of that range or about 1914. With WWI starting, there were clearly going to be some significant changes on ammunition production in Europe and the possibility of the existing sources like Belgium (who initially supplied this ammunition to Sweden), I can see why US companies would think a European marked would open up. It appears based on known headstamp dates, that Swedish production of this caliber began about 1916.

Lots of speculation here, and I have not yet checked any of the catalogs on the IAA website, but I believe this box very likely dates from the period around the beginning of WWI.
Given the box style, it seems very unlikely that this box and its ammunition was made for Columbia in the 1930s.

John, This is a real historical treasure.

Thanks for sharing,
Lew

Lew,

Actually, the m/07 designation for the Husqvarna pistol doesn’t appear on the box label, but that was the designation for this pistol throughout its production and use, including the FN-made pistols supplied to Sweden prior to Husqvarna’s production. I am not sure how the appearance of the Husqvarna name on the label can establish any time period short of the entire production and use of the pistol, although I agree that other factors concerning the label do limit the time period.

As far as I can tell, production of the 9 mm Browning Long cartridge, designated 9 mm Skarpa Patroner m/07 in Sweden, began a number of years before 1916. The first Swedish factory to make this cartridge was Ammunitionsfabriken Marieberg, using “M” as their factory designator. Production there started in 1910 (I have a 1910-dated cartridge from them, as evidence of that production) and went on thru 1942, with some gaps in the known production. For more information on that, see “The 9 m/n Browning Long Cartridge - Part 2,” Woodin Laboratory, compiled by John L. Moss, page 44, IAA Journal Issue 444, July/August 2005. The first part of the article is in Journal 443.

The January 1914 date for initial production by Remington-UMC is confirmed in the UMC daily log, which continued, sporadically it would see, after the merger in 1911 with Remington. The entry has one very interesting note that relates to previous entries on the thread on the Remington boxes concerning the destination(s) for the Remington ammunition, “9m/m Browning Long M.C., Jan. 1914 Commenced MAKING FOR EXPORT.” (emphasis on the last part by me).

There was more on the Remington production, but it is not germane to this particular thread.

I should have read my own work on this cartridge, concerning the date of the U.S.C.Co. box label. It should be before about December of 1915, when orange packages gave way to a blue and orange style. However, this seems impossible due to the use of the Husqvarna name on the label, relative to the intended weapon-use of these cartridges. Husqvarna did not begin production of the m/07 pistol until 1917, so it would seem to be unlikely that this box could even possibly be before that date.

This caliber of ammunition is not listed in any U.S.C.Co. catalog that we had access to during the writing of the article in question. The story continues, but is too long to relate here. It is suggested that the two part article in the IAA Journals of May/June and July/August be consulted if there is further interest in this subject. As I mentioned, I should have done that myself. I will just conclude with the belief that, for various reasons, the box shown should date between 1917 and 1926. There are even questions regarding whether or not this was ever a contract for the Swedish Government. The first 300 Husqvarna pistols are known to have been for the commercial market.

John Moss

John, Thanks!

I intended to check your article but a computer issue raised it’s head and decided to do that later. My loss.

I understand that the decision was made to have this pistol produced by Husqvarna in 1914. It seems likely that USCCO marketing added that name to their label in anticipation of the pistol.

I agree that this ammo was likely made for the commercial market, and it is possible that these boxes were used for production over a number of years. I seriously doubt this style box was first used for 9mmBL after about 1920, unless it was followup production using old boxes as we have seen done by other manufacturers, After all, USCCO was selling new production 9mm Luger in boxes marked Lowell Mass well after they were total gone from Lowell.

Again, thanks for the great insights.

Lew