U.S. Military .22 lr FMJ

I found some info about it but I would like to know what was it for?

Was it used during the war?
Was it for silenced pistols (snipers) or for survival?

Thanks
Martin

These were used in the .22 LR survival guns that were issued to US pilots prior to the adoption of the .22 Hornet FMJ round for the same purposes; if I remember right, these would’ve been the take-down Armalite floating style, where the barrel threads off the receiver, the receiver is held onto the stock by a threaded rod through the pistol-grip, and everything fits into the floating buttstock. I suppose they could have been used in the High Standard OSS-style suppressed pistols that would’ve been issued to U2 pilots as well, but I think someone in that situation has got more problems than a 22 pistol could adequately deal with. Here’s a scan from a 1961 Technical Manual for the Army and Air Force, TM 9-1305-200:

The 22LR FMJ M24 dates to 1944 when the Army lawyers suggested that there might be a possible violation of the Conventions if the standard 22 LR commercial cartridges were used. It was called the T 42 until 1945 when the designation M24 was adopted.

So sayeth HWS II.

Ray

Thank you very much for your answers.
Im still curous about the gun it was intended for.
M6 Survival rifles were made from 1951 to int replacement by the AR7 a few years later.
What .22LR gun was used during 2

The (late) WW2 survival gun was a Savage-Stevens over-under rifle/shotgun with the top barrel being .22 Long Rifle caliber and the lower barrel .410 shotgun. There was no “M_” designation for these.

The M5 survival rifle was made with a quick detach barrel and detachable box magazine, made for .22 Hornet.

The M6 survival gun was another over-under, this time .22 Hornet over .410 shotgun. This gun folds to compact length and had storage in the buttstock for .

As far as I know, the Armalite AR-7 was never officially used by any U.S. military branch.

Thanks John,
I could not find which was the USA WW2 survival rifle.
Doing some searching find this interesting article here:

smallarmsreview.com/pdf/OSSPistol.PDF

OSS Silenced Pistol
Text and photos by Peter G. Kokalis
On page 22,

The (late) WW2 survival gun was a Savage-Stevens over-under rifle/shotgun with the top barrel being .22 Long Rifle caliber and the lower barrel .410 shotgun. There was no “M_” designation for these. They were a regular commercial design with a “tenite” [brown plastic type material) stock.

The bolt action M5 survival rifle was made with a quick detach barrel and detachable box magazine, made for .22 Hornet. This was a cheap looking mostly stamped sheet metal affair with a telescoping wire shoulder stock.

The M6 survival gun was another over-under, this time .22 Hornet over .410 shotgun. This gun folds to compact length and had storage in the buttstock for .

As far as I know, the Armalite AR-7 was never officially used by any U.S. military branch.