U.S. Military Experimental anti-RPG cartridge

I claim the prize for the most unusual U.S. military experimental cartridge of recent years. This is a .26-caliber recoilless cartridge with an electric primer. The interior of the cartridge and brass case act as the electric ground. The round is 10.5 inches long, and was designed for salvo-fire against incoming RPGs. In concept, radar mounted on armored vehicles would detect an incoming RPG, train the salvo launcher on it, and fire a salvo (total number unknown) of .26-caliber brass projectiles. The recoil was absorbed by the slurry in the back of the cartridge, which was blown out the back of the case, reducing the recoil felt by the launcher to almost zero. The drawing is not to scale, but does depict the round shown. I acquired a small handful of these from the contractor who assembled them, and I have no other information about the experiment.

Anybody ever seen another one, or have more info?

More info here:
freepatentsonline.com/7202809.html
Soren

Mausernut; that’s a great link to the patent, which confirms what I was told. Thanks. Wonder whatever happened to the idea.

Systems based off of caseless fire like “Metal Storm” yield more repeat defense fire. Wire mesh guards (as seen on some armored vehicles) pre-det RPGs outside their kill radius. As I recall, the Israelis introduced a RPG point defense system and brought it to functional level… I don’t recall if it went to production.

Honestly, the weapon is not really well thought out. A triple dozen of these would be bulky and slow to reload. How many would have to fire to ensure a kill? Why not fire a canister-style round? Greater kill probability and two or three semi-automatic guns firing a shotgun-styled cartridge means multiple shots, easier reload (magazine fed?), and longer repeat defense without inducing time-costly reloading process and introducing an ammunition train which is neither easily packed nor simple to reload (if reload in the field is possible).

The Russians developed such a system (Drozd) back in the 1970’s and refined it since then (Arena).

Drozd:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drozd_acti … ion_system

Arena:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arena_acti … ion_system