U.S.-produced 8mm Lebel balle D bullets

Can anyone explain the base markings found on American-made balle D bullets produced during World War I? I have in my collection at least 3 different marks, each comprising a large U enclosing a smaller capital letter or symbol. My first thought was the U indicated Rem-UMC except that the Western-produced specimen has a base mark of B within U. Thanks, JG

I was told that “U” meant REM-UMC Production, and if there is a “T” in the centre of the U this stands for Tombac (The European word for gilding metal, as the 8mm Lebel bullet is solid gilding metal. There is also a “B” found on bullets made from brass. The REM-UMC bullets could have been loaded into cases produced by Western, but I’m not 100% sure. Here is a link to the thread when I asked about these markings after I acquired a round with one of these bullets in. Mine was loaded by Robin Hood Ammunition co. of Swanton, Vermont in 1917, but has a Remington-UMC made bullet. However this could be explained more easily as Remington-UMC took over Robin Hood Ammunition Co. in 1915. They carried on operating the Swanton factory, and the rounds (well at least 8mm Lebel) were still headstamped “R.H.A.Co.” until later in 1917.

http://iaaforum.org/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=1234&highlight=lebel

Ah, I remember that thread now. One thing about the explanations for the B and the T within the larger U that left me uncertain was the fact one of my bullets has neither of those letters but rather a simple round dot within the U. I can’t remember which cartridge case it came from, but not from the Western. JG