U & U underlined on Primers

While continuing my listing of all the cataloged loading of UMC and Remington-UMC items, I ran into a piece of information. I have long known that the “U” on the primer indicated a Smokeless Powder load. The “NEW” information, at least for me, is the meaning of the “U underlined” primer marking. According to the 1911/12 Remington-UMC catalog, the No. 8 (copper) primer with U (underlined) is “Adopted to High Pressure smokeless powder cartridges”. All the primers (No. 6, 6 1/2, 7, 7 1/2 & 10) with just plain “U” are listed as “Adopted to smokeless powder central fire cartridges”.

Ron…also check out #8-1/2 and 9…these are also listed as adapted to “High Pressure Smokeless” or “Full Powder Charge” cartridges…I have sealed boxes…so cannot say whether or not there is a “U” with underline…FYI…many Krag cartridges of the 1900-1910 period…or later…if you count REM-UMC…have the underlined “U” primers…the ledger seems to indicate that most Krag cartridges were loaded with #8 or #8-1/2 primer…while the #9 seems to have been for .30-06…I have a sealed box of #9…which states “For .30 Cal Government Full Powder Charge Cartridges”…some of this info is from the 1910 REM-UMC catalog…and lists the #9 primer…but, in looking at the cartridge description for the .30-06…all use #8…!!!..Randy

Randy–Yes, the No. 8 1/2 Brass primer and the No. 9 copper primer are listed as you indicated. But, neither, at least in the 1911/12 catalog, have anything on the primer.
Only the No. 8 copper has the U underline marking.

Another interesting thing about the No.9 copper primer, which as you said is listed as “Adopted to .30 caliber Government full powder charge cartridges” is that while it is listed in all the catalogs though at least 1917 is not shown as being used for ANY cartridge of ANY type in the listings. BY 1923, the No. 9 is no longer listed. Also, in the ammunition listings though 1917, there is NO cartridge listed as a “.30 caliber Government”. There is “.30 Springfield 1903”, “.30 Springfield 1906” and “.30 U.S. Krag Army”. Nor did U.M.C. ever use that name for any cartridge. So, while I assume the notation about the No. 9 primer means for use in the .30 Springfield 1906 (.30-06 Springfield) it is NOT supported in the actual listings. This primer, as far as I can tell, only appears in the list of primer types and no where else.

By the way, Randy, was it a typo when you said “some of this info is from the 1910 REM-UMC catalog” Did you really mean the 1910 U.M.C. catalog? Remington and U.M.C. did not officially merge and change their name to Remington-UMC until 1911.

Hi, Ron…The first “combined” REM-UMC catalog was 1909…and I also have 1910…even though the merger did not officially take place until Feb 1, 1911…

Randy–That is strange. I have a June 1909 Sales Rep. listing and it still lists the two companies as separate companies. The cartridge part is U.M.C. and the Remington part is ONLY the guns. See the image below.

Are your 1909 and 1910 catalogs retail catalogs or Sales Rep Price Lists?

Ron…1909 is a “Price List”…but in little bound booklet form, lists both companies on front cover, non-illustrated; 1910 is a fully illustrated catalog…Yes, the companies are listed as separate entities, with no mention of Remington - UMC, but my point was that the two companies were “combined” in literature before the 1911 merger…Randy

Randy–Your 1909 price list seems to be exactly like mine with red covers. Of course UMC and Remington were joined at the hip since 1887, but as far as my listing of all the cataloged loads, they were UMC until 1 Feb. 1911 and Remington-UMC after that date.