UK National Archives .256, .276, .270, .280, and 4.85mm

Noting that one of the recent DTIC files I found was downloaded from the UK National Archives, I decided to poke around to see what else I could find.

Precis of work done at Woolwich and Enfield in connection with cartridges for .256" and .276" rifles October 1908 to March 1912 (1912)

.276 Enfield rifle; Letters patent (1915-1920)

Internal ballistics and choice of propellants for .280 inch and .270 inch ammunition (1949)

Development of .280 and .270 inch tracer ammunition with dark ignition (1949)

Comparison of mercury fulminate and lead styphnate cap compositions for use in .280 inch ammunition (1949)

An investigation of wounds caused by 7.62, 5.56 and 4.85 mm (1974)

Other interesting results come up if you search: 280 rifle

From the titles, it certainly looks like the EM2 saw some sort of use in Malaya.

Were you able to download these ?

I could not get into any of them, beyond the brief summaries, but then I admit I am seriously computer-challenged. I eould like to pen them and print them all out. Can someone give us SIMPLE directions how to do that, preferably in English, not “Computerese.”

I believe that you have to place an order, and then they’ll quote you a price to photograph the pages.

Thats how I understand it as well.

This is TonyE’s area of expertise and he will know all about it. It helps that he only lives a couple of miles away from the Public Records Office

Where is Tony? I haven’t seen him posting recently?

[quote=“Vince Green”]This is TonyE’s area of expertise and he will know all about it. It helps that he only lives a couple of miles away from the Public Records Office

Where is Tony? I haven’t seen him posting recently?[/quote]

VERY GOOD QUESTION. I threw him a bone a few days ago and he still hasn’t come out to play.

I am here. It is just that I have been busy lately and have been in Europe a couple of times.

I have looked at all those documents (and countless others). The best way to get them is to simply go there, order up the files and photograph them page by page. There is no charge for this. It is only if you ask them to copy the documents for you that a charge is made.

Unfortunately, I do not have copies as I viewed those files before they allowed photography.

Regards
TonyE