UK tracer vs "Flame" tracer

What’s the difference? Does flame tracer = incendiary?

From an old thread-


Oct '08


…Just curious, what does, “Flame Tracer” mean? Is that different from a regular tracer? "

Flame tracer actually means the conventional type of tracer as most would think of it. This is the type with a tracer compound in the base of the bullet which is ignited by the heat of the propellant gases.

Smoke tracers contained white phosphorous which burned on contact with air. This was pushed out through a hole in the side of the bullet by centrifugal force.

Smoke tracers were usually known as incendiaries in British service, with the smoke tracer name being used for foreign contract sales.

Not quite accurate. Originally, in British nomenclature, there were two tracer types, day and night. The night tracers were based on pyrotechnic mixture. The day tracer consisted of a mixture of hydrocarbon liquids that burnt producing smoke, how combustion was maintained I have no idea. In some instances, the volume of fluid exceeded the volume of explosive. Fortunately, the Ordnance Board saw sense and discontinued day tracers.

I remember being told once that the fluid simply left a trail in the air as it was pushed out from the projectile and was not intended to burn in flight.

I have no idea if that is actually correct.

WP would make more sense no?

White phosphorous was definitely used in the smalller calibre rounds such as the Buckingham incendiary.

The day tracers that TimG is referring to were larger calibre rounds.

I know :-)

Documents say “day tracer liquid”. I assume it was no paint.
If it was no WP then probably silicic acid.