Ukrainian 9x18 boxes by Lugansk

That is correct, equipment only. Any cases produced would most likely have a Greek Headstamp.

Actually, I have no evidence of Olympic ever using Greek made cases. There is only one case manufacturer and when I visited them they produced only military ammunition-but that was a long time ago.

The initial 9x19mm cases used by Olympic were S&B surplus or reject to a contract with Taiwan. later they used some Romanian 9x19mm cases. Their last 9x19mm cases had an EDP headstamp which apparently was made for Olympic. This case is distinctive by the very grainy finish on the casehead. This same finish has been observed on both 7.62x39 and 9x19mm cases reportedly made by Iran so Olympic may have gone to Iran for some of his cases.

Cheers,
Lew

Yes after he bought the Russian equipment, most of it disappeared…sold out the back door. The company couldn’t pay their loans for the equipment and went bankrupt in 2003. Was bailed out. Owner then bought Suvenir of Macedonia. SMB. 2005-2007 but never paid a cent to the loan and lost the business. The Greek government was forced to investigate and Many Criminal charges were levied. But Olympic was bailed out again. Must have had a lot of political ties. lol
So I doubt they made any ammunition with the Russian equipment as most of the equipment went right out the back door to who know where.Most likely SMB cases.

I don’t think you are correct based on my information and specimens. Olympic began selling the NPA headstamped 9x19mm cases in quantity in the US, shortly after they bought the Lugansk loading line. All the documentation I have seen says this was a “Loading Line” so it is unlikely Olympic every owned the machinery to make cases. Had they not owned a loading line they could not have produced the NPA rounds. Early information on these loads indicated they were a mix of US, Russian and other components so they were not Czech loads for Olympic. In fact they differ from some NPA hst loads that I know came from S&B.

There is no question that Olympic was loading 9x19mm in large quantities in the late 1990s. I believe the earliest case I have documented is a S&B NPA case dated 1998 which ties in with Olympic obtaining the Lugansk loading line in 1997. The S&W headstamped Romanian cases are dated 99 and 00. The EDP headstamped 9x19mm cases showed up in 2001.

During this period, Olympic sold a huge quantity of 9x19mm is the US indicating they had a highspeed loading line in this caliber. It is of course possible that they used a few SMB cases in this mix, but none have shown up in the US as far as I know. I seriously doubt Olympic ever loaded SMC cases since they appear to have been out of the ammo business in the US years before they bought Suvenir.

Perhaps someone out there has seen SMB headstamped cases, or has other informaiton on Olympic. If so please post it.

Cheers,
Lew

Above is exactly what I copied from an online article. Though the headstamp of such ammo could be NPA not just SMB as they purchased SMB’d equipment and stocks…but may have had any headstamps. I am guessing they kept the SMB Factory as it was and still and their own. SMB was just liquidated fully in 2009 and the liquidation notice is on line.
Also see
mw.ua/2000/2245/37581/
about same company earlier and 9x19 equipment and contract to Yemen.

The managers didn’t only use the plant as a junkyard. They had a profitable business, selling cartridge-making equipment abroad. At rock-bottom prices, of course. Several automatic rotor lines (ARL) were cannibalized to assemble one, which was painted, adjusted and sold. LMTP had no right to export defense-related produce, so its contracts were mediated by Ukrspetsexport or Ukrinmash, and other companies “under their wing”. The business didn’t bring big profits, though: the equipment was sold three to six times cheaper than it was really worth abroad, and even that money was not always paid. A Greek court is still hearing the case of businessman Vasiliou Popadopoulos, who owes Ukrspetsexport $100,000 for a Lugansk-made assembly line for Luger 9x19 cartridges which was supplied back in 1997. And in Dec. 1998, the so-called “Yemen contract” was pushed through (contract #3/121, contractor - Ukrinmash, mediator - Ireland’s Balcombe Investments Ltd, tied to Kyiv businessman Timur Timmerman, formal customer - Yemen’s Defense Ministry, contract sum - $2.11M). Under the contract, seven cartridge lines were shipped to Yemen (for assembly of 7.62x39-8 Kalashnikov-47 cartridges). Similar equipment, produced abroad, costs up to $13M (you can imagine the commission received by some participants in the deal). Some sources say that the final destination was Iraq, and that this equipment is still running (operated by Lugansk engineers) in Baghdad’s north-western part. There is information that some participants in the deal used the commission to build… an Angels sanitary-towel factory in Kyiv.

Luganskij patronnyj zavod (LPZ), ChAO Website 8122.ua.all-biz.info/en/cat.php?oid=290121 offers 9x19mm for sale and even offer a shopping basket. The date for this is 14 Mar 2011 so it is current. The photo is below. I wonder what you’d get if you order off this site??

Cheers,
Lew

Then let’s just combine forces and buy a million rounds and we will know!
:-)

Hans

Ukrainian Lugansk Cartridge Works 5.45x39 Ammo 69gr FMJ. Commercial US marketed ammo for sale. ammunitionstore.com/products … d-box.html

Joe

Some info on LCW 7.62x39 in Syria currently.

rogueadventurer.com/2012/10/10/s … -in-syria/

A new site LPZ: lcw.lg.ua/index.php/en/

Inertammo - I am going to take this discussion back to a 9 x 18 site for a moment. I had time to really study your headstamp photos. Is your “38 57” a factory dummy with three rings around the case? If so, have you ever seen a ball round with this date. I have every single date from Yuryusan that appear on 9 x 18, but with the “57” date, I have only a factory dummy. I have never seen a ball round with this date. Seems odd, since the “K” date code for 1956 is found in both Ball and Dummy cartridges.

Yes John, I have ball round with headstamps 38 57. It has no color painting. I think there is a bullet with a lead core (П-bullet). Photos of this cartridge is for you I can do tomorrow.

Inertammo - Thank you for the great information! It is the first time I have been able to confirm the existence of ball ammunition made in 1957 by Yuryusan. A very important piece of information for me. I cannot comment on the bullet core material. The earliest Yuryusan round I had in duplicate and could have sectioned is date 60, and has a steel core. The bullets in “270 E” are lead core. I had about half a box of those at one time, and had one sectioned.
I can amend my book text now to reflect the 57-dated ball round, rather than my statement of uncertainty over its existence. It is hard to x-ray these things with certainly on the types of x-ray equipment a few collectors have, because of the lead sheath around the steel cores. Sectioning is conclusive. I never could bring myself to section a single specimen though, only duplicates, although I am becoming half-convinced that perhaps sectioning every round in such a way as to leave the entire headstamp intact would be the best of both worlds! Just can’t get motivated to do it or have it done!

If anyone in the U.S. has a “38 57” headstamp in 9 x 18 Makarov ball ammunition, in duplicate, I would give good trade or cash payment for it. It is the only Yuryusan date I do not have.

I am editing this entry, and to avoid confusion for those who have already read it, I have chosen to add the new information rather than correct my statements above. I found in my notes on Yuryusan Makarov cartridges that Woodin Laboratory WAS able to discern cores in the bullets of these rounds by x-ray, and found that from the earliest 1956 production, Yuryusan (Factory 38) Makarov cartridges have steel cores

Very interesting information, John! I always thought that the color code is the hallmark of the bullet with a steel core. And the first round of paint I have seen was 38 58. Never seen cartridges 38 56 with the color signifying a steel core. Only to the color of the primers pale red.