UMC 32 Ideal

I found a single cartridge in a bin and was taken by the unusually humble name of this cartridge. Unfortunately, entering “ideal” into IAA search produces a million of responses. I already know that it is a pre WWI cartridge. If anyone remembers any of its history, I am willing to listen.

This cartridge was developed in 1903 for Stevens mod 44 and 44 1/2 singleshot rifles.
It is an improvement over the older 32 Extra long Ballard, with inside lubrication, slightly longer case and larger base/rim diameters.

sksvlad

THE .32 IDEAL CARTRIDGE WAS DESIGNED BY RIFLESMITH AND WRITER, REUBEN HARWOOD OF SOMMERVILLE, MASSACHUSETTS. HE WAS ALSO THE DESIGNER OF THE .22 HARWOOD HORNET (BASED THE .25-20 SS CARTRIDGE NECKED DOWN). USING THE NOM DE PLUME, IRON RAMROD, HE WAS A FREQUENT CONTRIBUTOR TO, “SHOOTING & FISHING”, A EARLY NEWSPAPER FORMAT PUBLICATION DEDICATED TO PUBLISHING INFORMATION FOR THE NATION’S HUNTERS, FISHERMEN, AND TARGET & TRAP SHOOTERS. HE ALSO DESIGNED AND MANUFACTURED RELOADING TOOLS AT HIS GUN SHOP IN SOMMERVILLE.