UMC 8x41mmR Pieper

For many years I have a

It is an 8x41mmR Pieper. This design was used in revolvers and revolving carbines that used a gas seal system like the Nagant revolver. It was loaded in both Europe and the U.S. until the 1920’s.

Dutch, my friend, from an April 1988 "American Rifleman blurb on page 67:

"The 8mm Peiper preceded the much better-known Nagant round and introduced the gas-sealing principle. Henri Pieper, a prominent Liege gunmaker, took out a patent in 1886 covering a gas-sealing system combining a special cartridge that bridged the gap between a revolver’s cylinder and barrel, as well as means for moving the cylinder forward to meet the barrel or the barrel rearward toward the cylinder.

"Curiously Pieper allowed his patent to lapse in 1890, allowing the commercially astute Nagant Brothers to adapt gas-sealing to the Model 1895 revolver they sold to the Russian Empire. Unlike the Nagant described in detail in August 1986, p. 46, the Pieper’s cylinder is locked forward by a part pivoted at the top of the standing breech. The pin for this and the raised portion of the revolver frame that accommodates it give the 1889 Pieper a distinctive profile.

Pieper made a carbine on the same principle that was used by the Mexican Army. That gun had a nine-round cylinder as opposed to the handgun’s seven rounds, operated both in single-action and double-action modes. and had a 19-3/4" barrel.

Pieper had a continuing relationship with Waffenfabrik Steyr in Vienna, and that firm’s 1897 revolver was based on the Pieper patents.

The 8 mm Pieper cartridge was listed in the Remington-UMC catalog until World War I. It had a 125 grain bullet propelled by a charge of 13 grains of smokeless powder.

Erlemeier and Brandt’s “handbook of Pistol and Revolver Cartridges” lists a triplex load of three balls weighing a total of about 133 grains, an interesting concept for close-range defense.- R.W.H."

I hipe this is of some assistance and interest.

[quote=“JohnMoss”]Dutch, my friend, from an April 1988 "American Rifleman blurb on page 67:

Erlemeier and Brandt’s “handbook of Pistol and Revolver Cartridges” lists a triplex load of three balls weighing a total of about 133 grains, an interesting concept for close-range defense.- R.W.H."

[/quote]

The 3 balls loading was made by UMC.
weight of the 3 balls : 8.70 grammes.
SFM seems to have made also this special loading because they received the UMC rounds as samples to deliver an order.
JP