Uncommon .303 drill rd?

I bought some time ago a couple of .303 Drill rds, the headstamp is K, I was told at the time that it was an uncommon headstamp for a drill rd, is that correct ?

Thanks in advance.

These are interesting rounds as little is known about them. There are two versions usually found, one with the “K” in the six o’clock position and the other in the 12 o’clock position. There appears no obvious difference between the two types. Both types have the flutes lacquered with a clear red varnish rather than the usual red paint, which is typically Kynoch of this period.

I believe these to date probably from the 1920’s and may well be Kynoch’s experimental production of Drill Mark VI cartridges, which were made exclusively by Royal Laboratory up to that time.

I also have a variant with a longer wood distance piece and the bullet seated further out, with no crimping slits. (see photo) Whether this represents some specila purpose round or is simply a manufacturing error I do not know.

Regards
TonyE

Thanks for that.

I have 3, one with the paint (added later by a collector ?) and 2 with possibly the varnish and I hadn’t noticed before but 2 are with the 12 and 1 with the 6 oclock headstamp position.

[quote=“Armourer”]I bought some time ago a couple of .303 Drill rds, the headstamp is K, I was told at the time that it was an uncommon headstamp for a drill rd, is that correct ?

Thanks in advance.

[/quote]

Armourer,

As I don’t have one, to me they are uncommon. I have five perfect, unused, cases complete with the flutes which have never been assembled into complete rounds. I have seen several more with what appears to be a 7.62mm/.308" bullet fitted and crimped and I am sure that these are fakes. Yours have the correct bullet profile.

gravelbelly