Underwater rifle cartridges

Hi,
I would like to have info about underwater rifle cartridges.What kind of load do they use?I have seen some cartridges for that use:380 revolver that seem to be a blank one and a 20 gauge.The last one has a red plastic case identical to those fiocchi made used for hunting altough it is very heavy laquered with a transparent paint (on its box was written “Lupara mares”-more or less “mares shotgun” in english,mares is an underwater rifle factory).I can’t understand if it is loaded with shot or not.However it is a bit heavy to be a blank round

Depending on the exact type, the cartridges for these are usually waterproofed small-calibre pistol cases filled with a propelling charge, for launching spears for spear-fishing. Newer spear-guns are usually either powered by compressed air or rubber sling-bands, since they’re faster and easier to reload. However, there ARE cartridge-powered underwater spear guns for MILITARY use, such as the German P11 pistol, and the Russian APS rifle and SPP pistol.

P11:

SPP:

APS:

Looking better my 380 round could be a cartridge used for some industrial pistol (I don’t know the english word for those “pistols”.However you have pictured military rifles and my 20 gauge round is intended for single shot harpoon launcher SPORTING underwater rifles

These are the pictures of my rounds:

380 revolver long compared to my 380 underwater rifle or industrial pistol cartridge.The meaning of the headstamp is unknown to me

Here are pictures of my 20 gauge shotshell whose box was marked as “for use in LUPARA MARES” ( I remember you that lupara= shotgun and mares= a factory that produces undwater harpoon launcher rifles for scubas).I found that it is true on the mares web site but I would like to know what load is used in these cartridges

Note the very heavy trasparent paint on the case

hi Pivi
your round is a 380 Mordem for underwater rifle (model F1 if short, F2 if long, F3 if extra long)
JP

Thanks JP,
Do you know the meaning of “S.P.” letters in the headstamp?

[quote=“Pivi”]Thanks JP,
Do you know the meaning of “S.P.” letters in the headstamp?[/quote]

you have a topic on mordem ctges with boxes, ctges, dimansions and so on

iaaforum.org/forum2/viewtopic.ph … ght=mordem

here is the other side of a box in italian

SP for Subacqueo Pistole I think
jp

Thank you JP!!!
SP could stand also for “senza piombo” (leadless) indicating that it is a blank load.Unfortunately there aren’t writings referring to SP on the box

Pivi

[quote=“Pivi”]Thank you JP!!!
SP could stand also for “senza piombo” (leadless) indicating that it is a blank load.Unfortunately there aren’t writings referring to SP on the box

Pivi[/quote]
not for these rounds I think.
In the catalgue they call these rounds “subacqueo”.
The other blank rounds are not designed by this name.
Furthermore I used to have tools rounds described in the same page; but in other calibers (380 Short , 10, 38 S&W), and they had not SP in their headstamp.
JP

I agree.I have industrial,cattle killer and blank cartridges made by fiocchi and they aren’t headstamped “SP”.It’s a little mistery.
However “subacquea pistola” I don’t think it is the correct meaning because the 2 words are grammatically inverted for italian speech.This should be “Pistola subacquea”.However I’m happy because I have identified this cartridge

[quote=“Pivi”]I agree.I have industrial,cattle killer and blank cartridges made by fiocchi and they aren’t headstamped “SP”.It’s a little mistery.
However “subacquea pistola” I don’t think it is the correct meaning because the 2 words are grammatically inverted for italian speech.This should be “Pistola subacquea”.However I’m happy because I have identified this cartridge[/quote]

For these 380 they say : tippo usa and (ramset)
Perhaps it means they xwere designed for the us market and it can means submarine pistol ??
I found my boxes in the states fifteen years ago
jp

ramset is used to identify the blank cartridge used to power driving tools such as setting nails into concrete. They are found in various calibers and vary in strength in loads usually identified by color. Vic

Probably they are used in spear guns AND power driving tools…