Unfamiliar 9mm Headstamps (to me)

I picked up a batch of assorted 9mm cartridges today, the HSs of two of which I don’t know. First is WCC L 88 9MM. These have jacketed HP bullets. What does the “L” mean? The second has a small triangle, 9mm 89. It could possibly be a reload, as it has an unusually-shaped lead bullet, sort of, but not quite, like a truncated cone.

The second is a reload, on a Chinese case.

Thanks. The WCC L rounds do not appear to be reloads, as the primers have sealant in place, and the cases are pristine. I have five of those, all identical in appearance.

The “L” designates the JHP load as Winchester’s Olin Super Match 147JHP subsonic (Type-L) load.

This is the load that the FBI switched to after blaming the 1986 Miami fiasco on the Win 115 Silvertip HP.

Leon - your answer is essentially correct but too exclusive. The “L” does indicate a subsonic load, but was not used exclusively by Winchester to identify the load you indicated. It was also used in Product Number N00164-90-C-0207 by Federal Cartridge Company, on ammunition headstamped “FC 91 9MM L” and produced in various lots in 1991 and 1992, although the only headstamp date known is “91” dated. Both box labels display the same product number, shown above. The book by Lew Curtis shows a box label with a 91 Lot number date, while my box is lot number FC-92A0010018. Curtis indicates that despite the American military-type label, the Federal loads were reportedly made for Saudi Arabia.

I have slight variations of the Winchester load, basic headstamp “9MM L WCC 88” with dates of 87, 88 and 95 in my own collection (I don’t collect dates just for themselves). They may exist in other dates.

I cannot recall off hand if there are other factories in the U.S. that used the “L” on a headstamp for subsonic ammunition. I can’t think of any.

Hope this additional information is of some interest.

I have never seen such a variation, so can some one describe it
so I can picture what it looks like?
Or better yet, can anyone post a picture of the WCC L 9MM headstamp in question?

Thanks

Here it is, not great quality, but a picture. Note the directions of the stamping vary, WCC and 88 facing outward, the L and 9MM facing inward.

Dennis, The way this headstamp is intended to be read is

9MM L

WCC 88

Cheers,

Lew

Dennis, that round pictured is in fact the 147JHP OSM round I mentioned earlier.

The earliest dated round I have is 87. I got mine from a CA Dept of Justice agent that I was talking with at a gun shop in Sacramento. This is the load that the FBI went to in 1987 after ditching the Silvertip load after their Wound Ballistics symposium held in 1986 after their Miami incident. This same load is still available from Winchester in their USA economy brand line marketed as Personal Protection ammo. It had a very erratic performance in real street shootings including poor expansion and overpenetrations.

Leon - Where did your information come from that the 147 grain bullet in 9 mm had and “erratic” street performance, with over-penetration? I hope not from Marshall, Sanow, and company?