Unheadstamped 7.65x17SR/.32 ACP

It is SR, the rim is 9.0mm, body next to rim is 8.5mm. body is 17.0mm long, projectile next to the mouth is 7.85mm, and no markings whatsoever. Also the projectile is quite magnetic. Help, please.
scan0051

DSCF2703

Compare to a .32/7.65 ACP.

1 Like

To the left the “unknown”, to the right “Peters 32acp”

The dimensions of this cartridge are nearly the same as your unknown round.

2 Likes

DerkJan, the Type 64 is rimless.

1 Like

I added day light pictures. “Peters .32acp” cartridge on the right is 17.2mm long.

In my view it is just another nameless 7.65x17SR / .32 ACP without hs as they were made by countless manufacturers back in the popular days of this caliber (before 1945).

1 Like

EOD, you are right I was to quick.

Vlad - I have the identical cartridge in my own collection, right down to the fairly wide extractor groove and bevel, the heavy roll crimp at the mouth, and the slightly short case length compared to other 7.65 x 17 mm Browning cartridges. The bullet in mine is also GMCS (magnetic).

Unless someone finds a labeled box for these, it is likely we will never know who manufactured it. I have about a dozen unheadstamped 7.65 x 17s in my own collection, all different from each other in some way, that I have never been able to identify. I have many others that are identified, either by obvious cartridge characteristics, or by box labels. Sometimes the box labels are not even helpful, as they are generic; that is, they are anonymous as to the manufacturer.

EOD was right on in his reply. Maybe we’ll get lucky, and someone with a box of these will respond.

John

1 Like

Thanks. Could it be Japanese? Japanese ammo was frequently un-headstamped.

Japanese has a red-ish mouth sealant, get a good glass & look carefully

1 Like

Pete is correct - I have both known variants of the pre-1946 Japanese-made .32 Auto cartridges, and also a sample of post-WWII production, which is headstamped. The cartridge in question here bears no real resemblance, other than case type, to the Japanese rounds. I don’t have the source available right at hand, but Frank Allen wrote an outstanding article on the .32 Japanese cartridges, well illustrated, for the IAA Journal. It is a fairly recent issue.

One variation of the cartridge has a reddish-orange mouth seal, and three, stab-type neck bullet crimps. The other has a truer-red mouth seal, and no stab neck crimps. Other than that, they are identical to each other (projectile, primer, rim thickness, extractor-groove & bevel, etc.

See Frank’s article for the whole story.

John Moss

1 Like

jap

2 Likes