Unidentified 7.62x54R stripless belt

Hello,

Here are two stripless belts for which I have absolutely no clue as to their identification.

Hereafter some comments which might help :

• these belts are supposed to come from Finland
  • best fit is for 7.62x54R cartridge, but that does not necessarily mean it is that caliber
  • for the two belts, both ends are fitted with crudely hand-made starters
  • total capacity is 250-round
  • one belt is made of extremely thick fabric
  • one belt is made of extremely thin fabric, and the cartridge is inserted very deep into the belt with the belt pocket resting on the cartridge case shoulder
  • the weave of either belts does not recall any of the numerous stripless belts I have examined so far
    -the pitch between two cartridges is the same for the two belts and is very large. In fact it corresponds exactly to the pitch of a standard stripped Russian maxim belt.

Now, let’s see the pics which are worth a thousand words :

Here is the thick fabric variant.
Note the hand-made starter impressed “1/PL”. The cartridge is inserted in the belt the “usual way”.

Here is the very thin fabric variant.
Note the hand-made starter impressed “3.E 3” and the fabric marked in red pencil “E”".
The cartridges are inserted very deep into the belt which fits on the shoulder of the cartridge case.

Here we see the comparison of the very large pitch which is the same for the two belts. We also see that it is the same as the pitch for a standard stripped Russian maxim belt.

Here we see the comparison of fabric thickness when the belts are rolled. The thin fabric belt was found rolled and fastened with a blue/white string.

At first I expected these belts to be for Colt Potatoe Digger in caliber 7.62x54R as exported to Russia, but the very large pitch identical to that of a standard Maxim belt makes me doubt.
As I have never been able to examine original vintage picture of 7.62x54R Potatoe Digger belts, I cannot say if the pitch could be that big.

As the belts and links subject is just in the middle between ammunition and weapons, I will also post this question on a machine gun forum.
We’ll see which side will have the most ideas ! :)

Cheers,

JF