Unidentified 9x19mm Blank

I picked this up recently. Can anyone identify it???

Lew - if the color is true in the photo, that and the machining of the base look very much like the current Bakellite blanks that have headstamps, The bullet ogive is imilar too, although not identical I don’t think. Hard to tell since yours hasn’t the pre-stress groves at the nose of the bullet.

Maybe Morten can give us a better idea?

These plastic blanks are getting complicated to sort out, as I mentioned in recent private messages with you. That French one I found in my dupes that has no grooves in the bullet is a case in point. I don’t recall if I noticed and mention to you that it has no powder in it, even though it has an unsnapped primer. Obviously, it was manufactured with no powder, as it could not be removed after assembly. Also, the bullet is hollow - as trnasluscent as the case - so it probably was not a short-range. It is the transluscent white one with aluminum base, nickel primer, 3-stab primer crimp and black primer seal here that i mentioned recently that i am talking about. Next time you are at my place, we have to look closely at these plastic blanks. I have totally lost it as to which are Norwegian and which aren’t, as I have found anomolies in my dupes.

Lew, it looks much like my AREX dummy (no blank). I will check tomorrow.

Here in comparison to the blue AREX blank:

EOD - thanks for your posting. I was not aware of the AREX Blanks in any color other than olive drab. I have not seen any blue ones. My three variations all have the pre-stress grooves at the tip of the bullet, and have bases of a very shiney, silvery-color metal, not plain brass (and not steel).
How many variations of the Arex blanks are known? I know their primary interest was selling the machines to make these cartridges, not the cartridges themselves. Do the red and blue ones have the AREX headstamp. One of my olive-color rounds is unheadstamped. The other two both have AREX headstamps.

EOD, Your round liiks just like mine. Does your’s have a primer or is it a rubber plug??? My red plastic is 60,5gr and when I put a straightened paperclip in the flashhole I can tell it is pretty thick wall and the internal cavity only extends about half way into the bullet shape. The head is obviously turned which is very different from my other AREX rounds (pictured below).

The OD blank with no hst weighs 43gr,
The OD dummy blank with the rubber plug for a primer weighs 33.6gr
The blue blank with the hst weighs 33gr, but it has a hole in the side to remove the powder and no primer

The orange item is reported to be the new Swiss dummy. In profile it looks very much line the red plastic, but the head appears to be aluminum wht a rubber plug in the primer pocket. It only weighs 43.8gr. Perhaps it was made by AREX for Switzerland.

Now that I look at the photo and back at the rounds, these four and the red plastic have two small molding marks in the side (clearly visable on three of the four rounds in the photo) and also visable if you look on the right side of the OK blank on the far right. Also visable on both of EODs items. My original photo of the red dummy was aligned so the mark isn’t visable but looking carefully, I can see the roughness on both sides of the case.

No question in my mind now that all five were made by AREX!!!

Thanks for the info.

John, Today the also sell loaded blank cartridges and make dummies to customer specifications (quite a variety).

The usual head material they use for the blanks is zinc.

Arex made some cartridges for Hirtenberger with “HP” head stamp in 5.56x45 and 7.62x51:
olive: AREX 7,62x51
blue: HP .308 7,62x51

The 9x19 head stamps are:
olive: AREX 9x19 (exists also without)
blue: AREX 02
red dummy: none

They also made:
4.6x30 (so far only dummies)
7.5x54 propelling on Serbian made case (Swiss)
7.62x39 (blanks)
7.62x54R (blanks)
.338 Lapua (only blank I know so far)
12.7x99 BMG (dummies and blanks, also with HP head stamp and a version for Switzerland in brass)
20x110 HS404 (only blank)

“Dummies” means here regular drill cartridges, no “inert smples” or such.

[quote=“Lew”]EOD, Your round liiks just like mine. Does your’s have a primer or is it a rubber plug??? My red plastic is 60,5gr and when I put a straightened paperclip in the flashhole I can tell it is pretty thick wall and the internal cavity only extends about half way into the bullet shape. The head is obviously turned which is very different from my other AREX rounds (pictured below).

The OD blank with no hst weighs 43gr,
The OD dummy blank with the rubber plug for a primer weighs 33.6gr
The blue blank with the hst weighs 33gr, but it has a hole in the side to remove the powder and no primer

The orange item is reported to be the new Swiss dummy. In profile it looks very much line the red plastic, but the head appears to be aluminum wht a rubber plug in the primer pocket. It only weighs 43.8gr. Perhaps it was made by AREX for Switzerland.

Now that I look at the photo and back at the rounds, these four and the red plastic have two small molding marks in the side (clearly visable on three of the four rounds in the photo) and also visable if you look on the right side of the OK blank on the far right. Also visable on both of EODs items. My original photo of the red dummy was aligned so the mark isn’t visable but looking carefully, I can see the roughness on both sides of the case.

No question in my mind now that all five were made by AREX!!!

Thanks for the info.

[/quote]

Lew, your orange 9x19 is also an AREX product, same as the new Swiss dummy for the 5.56x45 which is also orange now (they were red before but Switzerland did not like the visibility when the cartridges were inside the gun or magazine so some more bright color was choosen).
AREX people told me that they made quite some ammo for Switzerland.
Your blue 9x19 blank is a gun show dummy (as mine).

EOD and Lew - two more I have to look for. Just when I think I am getting these plastic rounds sorted out, more appear. I guess it is fun! I live my life in confusion anyway, so what the heck.

John, don’t give up!

John, Just saw your posting. What are the headstamps on your two OD blanks? My only headstamped OD blank is AREX 9x19 as illustrated above. You obviously have another variation.

Lew - I have a dummy blank. Not a dummy, but an inert blank. Primer Pocket filled with black rubber or something. To my knowledge, these were the first Arex blanks to show up. Arex 9 x 19.

I have the same blank with the same headstamp but loaded.

I have the same loaded blank, but with no headstamp.

EOD, John, Thanks! Very helpful. I’ve been to AREX on the web and filled in my datasheet.

Cheers, Lew

Lew, finally I was able to check for it. It is the same as your’s, just an empty primer pocket. I guess our’s are “show dummy dummies” (I got mine from one).