Unidentified pistol cartridge

I’ve had this in my miscellaneous junk box for a long time. I’m not even sure if it’s a legitimate cartridge. It is semi-rimmed and appears to be some other cartridge that has been turned down on a lath to it’s present dimensions. The case is Berdan primed and looks to have been fired. The FMJ bullet is just friction fitted into the case. it’s primed but had no powder when it got it.

Case Dimensions:

Case length 0.824" 20.94mm
Rim 0.355" 9.03mm
Base 0.335" 8.50mm
Neck 0.335" 8.50mm

Bullet Dia. 0.308" 7.82mm
Bullet length 0.567" 14.92mm
Bullet Weight 86.2 grains 5.585 grams

Any Ideas?

Paul

I believe this is a shortened .30 Carbine case with a standard .30 Carbine bullet. Looks like the primer is slightly above the surface of the head; is that’s the case, it would indicate the headstamp was removed.

Check it against the specs for a French 7.65 Long pistol round. They are hard to come by, for shooting purposes, and I believe I have previously seen carbine rounds reformed into them before.

The rim is too large and the case is over 1mm too long for 7.65mm French Long. (French Long: Rim: 8.43 to 8.50mm; Case Length: 19.50 to 19.70mm)

Yes, the primer is slightly raised. The surface of the head looks to have been cut down on a lath. It could well have been a 30 Carbine. At the very neck there is no indication the case diameter has been altered but from that point on it has been turned down to make a straight case. Just some one with too much spare time on their hands or did it have a purpose?

Paul

[quote=“rimfire”]I’ve had this in my miscellaneous junk box for a long time. I’m not even sure if it’s a legitimate cartridge. It is semi-rimmed and appears to be some other cartridge that has been turned down on a lath to it’s present dimensions. The case is Berdan primed and looks to have been fired. The FMJ bullet is just friction fitted into the case. it’s primed but had no powder when it got it.

Case Dimensions:

Case length 0.824" 20.94mm
Rim 0.355" 9.03mm
Base 0.335" 8.50mm
Neck 0.335" 8.50mm

Bullet Dia. 0.308" 7.82mm
Bullet length 0.567" 14.92mm
Bullet Weight 86.2 grains 5.585 grams

Any Ideas?

Paul[/quote]

Paul,

How about 7.63x21mm (7,63mm Mannlicher)? I have formed some of these rounds from .30 carbine brass but only to make “clip filler” dummies. I thinned the rim from the front, leaving the headstamp in place. The headstamp was unimportant for me because it is not seen with the rounds in a Mannlicher 1901 or 1903 charger. Turning the wall thickness down to fit a pistol sounds dodgy to me. I would prefer to swage down and retain the brass but the thickness at the neck had to be thinned to fit both chamber and correct bullet diameter.

gravelbelly

Hello gravelbelly,

Thanks for the reply.

The 7.63X21mm is close but it is a tapered case. I can see a 30 carbine being converted to a 7.63 like you said but why go to all the trouble of making it a straight semi-rimmed case. Like I said maybe some one had too much spare time and nothing else to do!

Paul