Unknow brass fuse ID?

I bought an array of items from ww1 about a year ago and whilst looking at them recently I decided to post them on Reddit to see if people could identify them. One particular object is a fuse for a shell and i have been told that i should see an expert to see if its armed, ( i don’t know where to find an expert)

I was told to give it to the authorities and i was also told that it is a dummy fuse therefore inert and i was wondering if anyone could confirm if its live or not and what fuse it is. To be honest I’m too scared to call up the authorities saying i might have an unexploded fuse. I was advised to use this forum for help and it would bring great comfort if someone could help me find out if it is dangerous or not. I’ll put the links to the pictures below and thank you for your time.

Top and front of fuse http://imgur.com/gallery/3jSVC84

bottom of fuse with hole http://imgur.com/gallery/a85syjL

Elmo

Welcome to the Forum

I’m not much help on fuzes, some British fuzes have screw on covers like the fuze you have.

From your second photo has someone drilled a hole in the bottom of the fuze?

Perhaps it would help to change the thread title to say you have a question about an unknown fuze

Hopefully some of those better versed on the subject will see this and respond.

Brian

1 Like

Elmo -

Welcome to the forum. I emailed a friend in Europe that works for Junghans Microtec the fuze manufacturer to get me a contact with his best historian. Hopefully, he will get back with a good answer.

Jay

Brian, the off-centre hole you see supposedly is a flash channel of the delay train (the big hole in the side could be for the selector, missing here) which is routed out of the axial SQ line (which here possibly has a thin-wall “barrier” made of the fuze body leaving the impression it is “solid”).
The “barrier” is to hold back a firing pin (to be pierced then) or held a detonator which when set off will breach the very thin wall easily. This design is used to enhance safety and or moisture protection etc. (the latter is unlikely here as the delay train has that visible hole, but other fuzes not having the delay feature get sealed hermetically this way and preserve the det better.
Also when an out of line det is used in the SQ feature the thin wall is a good additional safety when the detonator is set off accidentally while out of line (when fuzes/rounds are exposed to fire).

Jay, the fuze is no Junghans product to what I see and they also made little brass after WW1.
Though interesting to hear they have a “historian” who cares for items made before yesterday. Quite unusual these days.

The item looks much like a mortar fuze and having seen many this desing does not ring a bell. The missing markings are an indicator for small scale or prototype production.

1 Like

While certainly different, the shape and construction is reminiscent of some of the French fuzes, like on the 120mm PEPA mortar series.

Elmo, what country was this fuze found in?

And could you be so nice to change the thread to reflect the subject a bit better? Like “unknown brass fuze ID” or so.

It was found it France i believe.

Thanks so much I’m excited to see what answers come from this.

A quick update. The fuse isn’t live I found that out today and I think it could be a test fuse of some kind as it has the hole in the front and two holes drilled into it. One in the bottom and one around 3 or 4 inches from the top. As I know very little about this sort of thing the holes could be normal so if they are please disregard my belief that it could be a test fuse.

Elmo

Here is the answer I received.

"there is no clear answer to the identification of that fuze.

Best guesses are rocket, shoulder-launched or some kind of mortar application…"

Sorry

Oh well but thank you for trying.