Unknown 0,303" Drill Round

At the last Bisley ECRA meeting I got a 0,303" Drill round that I can’t pin down where it fits into the run of British Drill cartridges.

The headstamp is R^L 15 IV, the pocket is blind but with the anvil present, the case and bullet is chromed and there are three shallow stab crimps to secure the bullet. The strangest feature is that the case is strongly magnetic from the shoulder downwards, almost as if there is a steel distance piece rather than the usual wooden one.

Does anyone know if this is a Service issue dummy, if it is, what Mk is it and why the magnetism?

Happy collecting.

Peter

Peter,
It certainly does appear to be a Service issue dummy - accoding to Tony E’s site this is the .303" Dummy Inspectors Mk IV and was approved for service in 1912. it was introduced to match the bullet profile of the new Mk VII Ball cartridge which had been adopted for service the previous year. The case should be filled with coal dust to bring it up to the weight of 394gns matching the weight of the Mk VII Ball. I am wondering though whether your round is filled with iron filings instead as this would account for the magnetic attraction.

It had occurred to me that it was the Mk V but there are enough differences to that described by both Tony and Temple in his book on the 0,303" dummy (Vol 4) to raise doubts in my mind. Not least being that odd magnetism.

Peter