Unknown .22 (Wildcat ?)

Any ideas what the rd in the middle is ? I had it listed as a 5.7MMJ but the shoulder profile is wrong.

Armourer

Good Luck. There are so many of those “22 Carbine” wildcats that I’ve given up trying to ID them. Unless you have the original box with an original label it’s only a guess.

I assume that the one on the left is the one you got for me. I can vouch for it because it came from a factory box.

Read Daniel Watters’ excellent article from TGZ. I’ll post a link to it. I hope it’s OK with Daniel that I’m doing this.

thegunzone.com/carbine-wildcat.html

Ray

Thanks Ray, up till I got the 5.7MMJ from you I thought the rd in the middle was a 5.7MMJ.

Another question: 5.7MMJ and .22 Spitfire are the same round ?

Armourer,

If that is a stab crimp I see in your photo, I have a very similar if not identical example headstamped FN 50. When I obtained it way back when, it was said to be a “.22 Carbine” and no mention was made of Mr. Johnson or the moniker “Spitfire”. I had assumed they were all pretty much the same, but as the article by Mr. Watters that Ray linked to points out, one could expect to see many varieties of the same basic idea.

Thanks for the informative link Ray!

Dave

I’ve heard it both ways. Some say that the Spitfire was one of the original wildcats, while some say it was the same as the MMJ. I’ll have to re-read Daniel’s article to see what he said.

BTW, the 22 APG is made with the 222 R case head. The original was the 22 Gustafson which he (Gustafson) called the 22 Carbine. But they’re all the same cartridge. Just different bullets and headstamps.

ray

[quote=“DaveE.”]Armourer,

If that is a stab crimp I see in your photo, I have a very similar if not identical example headstamped FN 50. When I obtained it way back when, it was said to be a “.22 Carbine” and no mention was made of Mr. Johnson or the moniker “Spitfire”. I had assumed they were all pretty much the same, but as the article by Mr. Watters that Ray linked to points out, one could expect to see many varieties of the same basic idea.

Thanks for the informative link Ray!

Dave[/quote]

It is a stab crimp.