Unknown 25x137mm APP cartridge

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for an ID on this cartridge, I have now seen several of them for sale but cannot find an ID.

It’s in an Oerlikon manufactured steel case (unfortunately a previous owner decided to try and remove the primer…). The projectile is only marked “APP” and shaped like an APDS / TPDS projectile, perhaps Armor Piercing Practice? The body is aluminum with sintered iron drive band and a magnetic nose cap (unknown metal), it has a small gap between the projectile body and nose although the nose does not come off or move (tried to picture in the 3rd photo). It does not appear to be an actual discarding sabot projectile however.

Does anyone know what this is? Thanks in advance! :grin:

2 Likes

for sure APP is Armor Piercing Practice.

There is also an APP-T version: Armor Piercing Practice - Tracer

2 Likes

So I assume it replicates the ballistic trajectory without having to use an actual APDS cartridge? Interesting design, would be nice to see a cutaway!

1 Like

Someone tried to drill a live primer with above (probably) a live charge??? :face_with_monocle:

It would seem so! I bought it through a friend who emptied the powder via a small hole in the case but the primer was already mangled before he got it. Someone with not enough brains decided to have a go at it! :grimacing:

PSW is Press & Stanzwerke, Zurich, Switzerland., 25mm Oerlikon cartridge

2 Likes

the first one (Nr 9) is an APP-T cytaway (picture from Derk Jaap Harms - NVBMB)

Core is steel, tip is plastic to minimize range.

2 Likes

Case manufacturer is a Swiss firm, a subsidiary of Oerlikon. The symbol stands for Press-und Stanzwerk, in the principality, Lichtenstein. They specialize is case R&D for, at least, Oerlikon and perhaps other companies as well. Not noted for large scale ammunition production, but do make small batches of test lots for, at least, Oerlikon.

1 Like

That is interesting to know, I had not seen or heard of this cartridge and suddenly several came up for sale in the US all at once. All live with full powder loads. Strange! Thank you for the information on the case!

more info on these at: 25x173 Oerlikon KBB short case | Naboje.org - sběratelé nábojů

These were not from Press Und Stanzwerk, Liechenstein but from same named comany in Zurich.
The history of the Liechenstein plant:
1941 -Founded in 1941 by Max Held . Eschen-based Presta, behind which the Swiss arms and machine manufacturer Oerlikon-Bührle stood, had been producing bullet cases since spring 1942, primarily for the Wehrmacht. In 1943 the Presta employed 330 people. After the war production of screws, since 1960 mainly car parts. 1991 Sale of Presta to the Krupp Group. 1999 Renaming to ThyssenKrupp Presta AG. Literature: HLFL

1 Like

Curtis, factory was located in Eschen, Liechtenstein. The only factory they had in Switzerland was established in Oberegg in 1971, but was dedicated to forming tools.

1 Like

The online Liechtenstein says they didn’t produce cases sine just after ww2. Hmm.ots of conflicting info. Can you send me your source pls so I have for my records

Apologize for the bad spelling I was on a Bobcat grading a road while responding…lol

1 Like

Just for our records, another case from the same producer but with a totally different priming system.

1 Like