Unknown .40 caliber projectile

Sorry, no pic available since the camera battery just died.

I picked up this projectile at a military/police range the other day.

By all accounts it looks like a regular .40 caliber 180 gr. hollow point projectile one would see in a .40 S&W cartridge or 10mm. The odd part is that the crimping cannelure is way down on the jacket, less than .170" from the base. This would place the cannelure well inside the case, below the mouth. Diameter is .400", weight is 179 gr. and OAL is .650"

The hollow point is roughly hexagonal, with the jacket skived deeply for almost half the length of the projectile and the lead core material appears also to be segmented, when viewed from the top, it looks like 6 pieces of pie…

Is this a .40 caliber pistol bullet or some new .40 caliber rifle load?

I’m thinking that maybe the cannelure is not for crimping, but rather to help hold the jacket and core together…?

AKMS

The Federal HST JHPs have a ‘locking ring’ (cannelure) on the bullet, and it does serve to retain the jacket during barrier penetration.

Your description sounds like an HST (esp. the pronounced jacket skive/scoring)…post a pic when you can, or www.le.atk.com has gobs of online tests for the HST and other bullets with many pictured or diagrammed.

100% correct sir. Man, that cannelure really threw me off…

AKMS