Unknown .45acp round

Hi hopefully someone can help identifying this unusual .45 acp round. The headstamp is FC 62 and it has a very strange bullet. It’s a lead hollow point with vertical spline around the outside. I’m posting this for my father whose been a collector and IAA member for years but isn’t good with computers. This is my first post on here so if I’ve done anything wrong I apologise. It’s been suggested it might be a reload loaded backwards or some South American air Marshall loading. New users can only post one photo so hopefully my description is accurate enough with the picture.

It looks…weird. Do you have the possibility of chambering this -cartridge- in a .45ACP pistol? It looks problematic to me.

Do you have a generic ball .45 to put next to it for comparison? What is the length of the case and diameter of the projectile?

I’m thinking this looks like a .410 slug homebrew, but there are better brains to pick around here.

I do hopefully the picture attached correctly. I tried to post it with the original post but it would only allow one picture. Bullet diameter is .452 case length is .891 rim diameter is .475 overall length is 1.223.

Just attempted it and it will not chamber. The bullet appears to be too large a diameter. I believe it would if I let the slide fall being lead but I don’t want to damage the bullet.

Sorry the previous reply didn’t seem to actually reply to you. I posted the photo below with the specifics. Someone did suggest a .410 slug loaded backwards but all the ones I’ve looked at the vertical splines appear to have a spin to them being rifled slugs but really have no idea.

Weird bullet, very pronounced roll crimp at the casehead… (Is the case filled with powder?) This looks to some home-made fantasy. Maybe your dad can give some background? But never mind! Consider it simply as a unique collectors item!

To me it doesn’t sound like there’s any powder. He actually picked it up yesterday at a local flea market for $1 because he didn’t know what it was and knew he didn’t have one. He was hoping I could figure it out for him but I agree and think it’s probably something someone made up.

I’m agreeing with Strelok, Looks to be a .410 rifled slug inserted nose-first into the case.

Maybe some sort of industrial load, or military special purpose (cable cutter, bomb ejector, etc,)?

You actually talked to my father about this on the phone this morning or maybe last night. I have to agree with you that it is probably something someone made. The one thing that’s odd is most .410 slugs seem to have a twist to them and this the raised splines are straight. Unless someone says it’s some crazy rare thing I’ll have to see if he’ll be ok with pulling the bullet to see.

I suppose it’s entirely possible. Never heard of cable cutting rounds before and after looking them up want to know more. They look very interesting.

The only .45 cable-cutter rounds (actually bomb cluster release I believe) that I have
seen were made by Frankford Arsenal.

John M.

Moosebra: As an ordinary thing hearing four grains of powder in a .45 auto case is mighty hard work. Jack

You are absolutely right. Just checked with several different .45acp rounds and couldn’t hear a thing.

After googling around for about a half hour, you’re right about that one. Also the diameter of most .410 slugs isn’t .452 like your example?

Hadn’t even thought about the difference in diameter with a .410 slug. Still could be something like a cast lead bullet seated backwards but I haven’t been able to find any that had vertical line instead of horizontal grooves. Maybe it is something rare.

They shoot .410’s in the Judge & other revolvers that interchange loads with the .45 Colt revolver.

I may be wrong about the .410 slugs as you have a good point. They are meant to rotate out of a smooth bore & so are at an angle.

Sorry no idea what it could be or if it’s right or wrong.

Tell Charlie I’ll give him $1.50 for it, Oh heck make it $2.

I’ll let him know and that’s why I didn’t even think of the diameter difference.

In the thread following this, about AP rounds with exposed cores, TonyWilliams just posted a photo of a cutaway 9mm. It has a slug with vertical bars just like the one in the unknown .45 ACP, but inverted. Look & compare.