Unknown 7x57 Headstamps

Who mfg. and for who were they mfg?

1. No headstamp, brass pr., dark blue black PA, cncs fmj
  2. 1937 headstamp, brass pr., green PA, cncs fmj
    Both have a continuous bullet crimp with 6 segments.

Without looking, I think I recall these as being German production for the Spanish Civil War. For either Geman or Nationalist/Fascist use.

Jon C. are you sure?

Both cartridges shown have a uncrimped primer.
By German made rounds for Spain in 37/38 is this very unusual.
With uncrimped primer it is only seen on a case with 7.92 in the head stamp.

We were lucky to find this head stamp in a Polte made box with l.S. (leichten Spitzgeschoss) rounds from 1937.
we think, the case came in the wrong container in the plant. So we are almost 100% sure that we identify this head stamp as Polte made.

Dutch

Dutch - I have seen the “7.92” headstamp on a round on a Polte Cartridge Board. I am sure it is made by Polte, and frankly, thought that was common knowledge. I don’t know why, though, that they made that headstmap in three different letter sizes. See you at SLICS.

By the way, the numbers on that “1937” 7 x 57 are somewhat like those on several 1937-dated 7.9 x 57 I have from DWM. also, I have a “DWM 1937” 7.9 ball round, type S bullet, with CNCS bullet, that has no primer crimps. The date is upside-down to the “DWM.” I don’t know if that 7mm was made in Germany or not, but it has a “German” look to it, depite the absence of primer crimps.

The 1937 one looks very similar to DWM marked 7x57s of the Spanish Civil War timeframe, specially primer and annulus.
The numbers don

[quote=“JohnMoss”]Dutch - I have seen the “7.92” headstamp on a round on a Polte Cartridge Board. I am sure it is made by Polte, and frankly, thought that was common knowledge. I don’t know why, though, that they made that headstmap in three different letter sizes. See you at SLICS.

By the way, the numbers on that “1937” 7 x 57 are somewhat like those on several 1937-dated 7.9 x 57 I have from DWM. also, I have a “DWM 1937” 7.9 ball round, type S bullet, with CNCS bullet, that has no primer crimps. The date is upside-down to the “DWM.” I don’t know if that 7mm was made in Germany or not, but it has a “German” look to it, depite the absence of primer crimps.[/quote]

Were headstamp bunters cut in the factory making the cases or farmed out to speciality shops ? Many of our factories have big machine shops but still farm out work on a regular basis.